Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1231 Posts

·
Liquid Iron Ind.
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Smiley came to me the day after the November 7th RCrocs race with his old buggy and a plan. Basically he wanted to strip his old chassis, reuse as much as possible, and build something to race competitively in all of these newer series. Another thing Smiley has been sort of pushing is innovation. This allowed us to try out using a 6L80e trans in this application to see if it really is the ticket for go fast competition.

Since that day we have been gathering every last part and fine tuning the design to what we feel will work the best as a primarily east coast racer. The deadline of the LCQ this coming year was set with a dream. Hopefully we can make that dream come true as we travel west in around 5 weeks.

Specs for his new build are as follows:

112" wheelbase
66" WMS
56" outside chassis width
Under 6'6" at ride height with 50/50 up travel (currently looking to be just under 6'4") with a 19" belly.
VVT L92 with MAST motorsports goodies good for 530hp
6L80e 6 speed auto trans
3.0 Atlas
Hi-9s front and rear
Spidertrax 3.5" offset housings
Crane inners, outers, and hi-steer
PSC front and rear steer systems
Bilstein 2.5" x 17" short bodies with Blackhawk resivoirs up front - 18" wheel travel
Bilstein 2" x 14" coilovers and 2.5" bypasses on trailing arms out back - 20" wheel travel
Jegs 32 gallon cell
42" iroks on steel beadlocks and 39" KRT-Bs on forged Racelines
etc. etc. etc.

On to the pics:

Rear housing

Wide Open Design's bracket kit. This will have to be modified slightly to fit the larger alternator from the Denali motor.

Subframe fab

Suspension mockup

Very slightly offset drivetrain

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Looks like a great start, I can't wait to see how this one turns out! You guys do pretty good work down there. :)

·
Liquid Iron Ind.
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Unfortunately I lost my DSLR battery a few days ago so the most recent pictures are from my blackberry. I'll be sure to get a new one asap to keep the quality pictures coming.

We are shooting to have this be a roller before the end of the weekend. After that, it's all those little details to take up time until the end of January.

I'd like to first thank David Smiley for the opportunity to work with him on such an exciting build as well as the many companies that have helped us out along the way. Adam and Rocky at Wide Open Design, Spidertax, PSC Motorsports, Branik, Crane Hi-clearance, MAST Motorsports, Doug at Extreme Axle Sales, Joel at Bilstein, Griffin Radiator, Poly Performance, etc, the list goes on and on. This build wouldn't exist without their exceptional service.

Stay tuned for many updates!

·
Liquid Iron Ind.
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn!

I'll have to come check out your shop next time I come home to visit family.

Very cool car.

I love the look of an offroad car at full stuff :smokin:
You are more than welcome to stop by! Where's family? We are in West Berlin, NJ.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Damn, I may have to swing by as well. I was at Ft Dix for 6 years, and still have family in Mt. Laurel. Had no idea there was a decent builder in the area (I left there in 06).

Good lookin build, gonna have to keep an eye on this one.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Man, and I thought my 22 gallon cell was BIG :eek:
Off to a nice start. I like those offset rockers. Very Curious to see how the 6L80E Works out.
Hey Tim, do I have room for one of those in my rig ? I know you left room for an Atlas.

Get working, tick tock motherfuckers :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Very nice. Question do you guys just build enough of these that getting it done is such a short time is easy?? Hats off to you for this make it or not.

·
nice roach.
5,723 Posts
Damn you guys are turnin out some :smokin: rigs :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
This already looks to be another sick rig coming out of the shop! I can't wait to see more! I think I speak for everyone that with builds like these, you will be in the industry kicking ass for a very long time. Major props Tim, Dom and the rest of the LII crew!!!

1 - 20 of 1231 Posts