Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aloharover's recent thread on his .308 smle's resparked my interest in doing something with the two .303 enfields I have stitting around. I picked both up for next to nothing with the intent of makeing one decent rifle out of both of them, but even my best barrel isn't that great so I started thinking about rechambering. About this time I came across some info on the Gibbs/navy arms 45-70 conversions and was interested in going this route but other things intervined and like usual I got distracted and lost interest. Now that I have some more time to work on projects Ive started to search for a barrel again but with out much luck. I do have a lathe but I dont feel my skills are sufficent enough to tackle reaming and threading a barrel and there isnt much for gunsmiths locl to me. Does anyone know of a manufacture that makes enfield barrels in 45-70? I do have a friend that is a very experienced machinist, if I ordered a barrel blank and reamer and provided the orginal barrel as a patteren could some one who is not a "gunsmith" have reasonable success at producing a barrel? My skill set is enough the Im comfortable installing the barrel and setting headspace ect. I relize I could just send the reciever to a gunsmith and say make me a 45-70, but thats not the point of building this gun.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 7.62 conversion was tempting(maybe the next enfield) but i really want a 45-70 and they only offer complete rifles in 45-70 right now. Apparently there is a gunsmith a bit south of me in Tomsake that is rumoured to have done a 45-70 enfield conversion. Been trying to get ahold of him to see if he can supply a barrel.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Cant you just order one in the white from any barrel co, then have a smith w/ lather thread and fit?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Threading for the enfield seems to be the issue, though I'm not sure why. Still waiting for a couple of replies but most can't seemed to be bothered. Douglas barrels seems to be the most promising so far but a bit on the expensive side. Hence why I'm looking at a blank barrel and getting my machinist to thread it and ream it. And that brings me back to one of the original questions, is threading and reaming a blank something a non- gunsmith but experienced machinist? Keep in mind as well I live in the great white north and certain restrictions and parts being unavaluble come into effect

1 - 5 of 5 Posts