Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised today when my 91 bronco failed visual on smog test (California) due to no CARB exempt sticker on the Ford Motorsports headers. I have owned it for 5 years or more and had it smogged a few times, no issues.

I looked up the headers that I think they are....Ford shows a M-9430-T58 but it is not smog legal. It does not show any other for that app that is approved, so maybe I am out of luck there. I can try and find a part number on them, but I bet it is stamped on the flange somewhere and I doubt I can see it.

Is there any recourse besides changing them out that I can try? They have been on there for at least the last 2 owners...weird it never came up until now. Lucky me. :(

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
swap them to ones with a carb number or find a new smog shop.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go try a different shop before you do anything. (If you just failed a visual you can still take it wherever you want, versus if it was a gross polluter you would have to take it to a test only station.)

You would be suprised at the difference between shops. And do not take it to a test only center!! These assholes dont and cannot fix anything, therefore their day to day knowledge never does shit except pass or fail....it is a goddam joke.

Try to find a smog tech that can relate to you and is not an asshat newbie fuktard, you will be amazed where a little conversation can get you. :beer: Good luck just the .02 as usuall

( And yes for all you haters I Do work in a smog shop :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent some time on Google...called Summit Racing...I could not find any shorty headers for the 5.8 that are smog legal. Plenty for the 5.0 :(

I did find a full header, but yipes $$$$.

SO I will think about the 'try a new shop routine'. Of course, it is a new testing fee each time I try and find a sympathetic or less picky shop. If nothing else, I will be shopping for manifolds. I just hate to r&r those things. What a pain.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Call Ford Racing and make sure.
MANY MANY headers (Edlebrock, Borla, etc.) carry a CARB sticker.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called Ford Racing just to be sure that the website info was correct...it is. To qoute the tech, "we never gave California a bunch of money to make it legal." :(

Good suggestion though. Better than assuming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts