Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found an 4X4 '85 SR5 ext. cab pickup for $800 that I think I am going to buy. The only problem is that the owner says it won't pass smog because it has no smog pump. My question is this, did '85's even come with smog pumps? I searched and found some info. on belt driven smog pumps, but my '85 I have right now does NOT have a belt driven smog pump. It just has ps, ac, alt. and the fan hooked up to belts. I just need to get the truck to pass smog. It won't need to pass a visual inspection. Is it possible to get it to pass w/o the smog pump? I am in Utah if that helps. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
From the research I had to do: There were California smog requirments and Federal smog requirments (the Chiltens manual has the diagrams for the smoq equiment info). If the truck door tag says 84 and it was reg in Ca it had to have a smog pump. If the truck door tag says 84 and it was reg in any place but CA it had a smog diafram (round black thing with 2 big hose attachments that connected to the air filter cover and a egr vavle located on the intake manifold) If the truck door tag has 85 and above it only had to have the smog diafram reg in anywhere including CA. I had to supply this info to the guys who smoged my truck here in SoCal. Also the smog diafram was $108 from the dealer and i could not find it at the local pick and pull. This is all from what i remember, its been about 2 years since i had to smog my truck. I do have the smog diafram that i could sell if you need it.

My truck is a 85 w/22r

·
Registered
198 Posts
My '84 22R does not have a belt driven smog pump and has always passed CA smog tests with no problem.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
NitroRClover said:
:confused: :confused: My 85 was a 22R was carbed, no pump, it passed kalifornia smog no prob.
federal and canada trucks have pulse air, no smog pump, trucks that originate from california will have smog pump and reed valve. this is for 22r's , either way if it has the right air injection for federal it will pass ca emissions, but if it says california model on the emmisions tag it must have a smog pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
smog pump help

Is there any way to tell if a truck is set up for federal or california emissions by the VIN number or anything else besides the sticker on the hood? I have an 84 4runner and it is not passing smog because the techs say it needs a smog pump. It has passed before, and it only has a charcoal canister down there near the air conditioning unit.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
1984runner said:
Is there any way to tell if a truck is set up for federal or california emissions by the VIN number or anything else besides the sticker on the hood?
good question , I want to get rid all the Vacum lines if I can make it a federal truck instead a Cali. one

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check the control box for the carb its behind the passengers side kick plate
It will say cal or fed.
I looked into getting rid of the pump also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so I just looked at my control box and it says that my truck is a california truck. Am I supposed to have a smog pump on my 84 22r? When I bought my truck it didnt have the pump and it passed smog until now. It was built in April of 84. I do have an air conditioning down where it looks like a pump would go.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talk about resurrecting an old thread. Some of the trucks didn't have a belt driven smog pump. Instead they have a small electrical pump and a "resonator." I'm not quite sure how these work, but you don't need a belt driven air pump.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Izeloz said:
I just found an 4X4 '85 SR5 ext. cab pickup for $800 that I think I am going to buy. The only problem is that the owner says it won't pass smog because it has no smog pump. My question is this, did '85's even come with smog pumps? I searched and found some info. on belt driven smog pumps, but my '85 I have right now does NOT have a belt driven smog pump. It just has ps, ac, alt. and the fan hooked up to belts. I just need to get the truck to pass smog. It won't need to pass a visual inspection. Is it possible to get it to pass w/o the smog pump? I am in Utah if that helps. Thanks for any info.
Izeloz,

Back to your original questions:

1) The owner says "it won't pass smog because it has no smog pump." Where is he? Will it pass emissions but not visual where he is? Or is he saying it won't pass visual due to no smog pump, and in addition he has no idea whether it would pass emissions even if it had a smog pump?

2) It is possible to pass emissions without a smog pump; I did it here in Oregon a few years ago. Mine (82 22r) is intact but I don't run a belt to it. It actually had worse emissions the one time I had it tested with the pump in operation.

CJF

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a moot point now. I bought the truck, put a smog pump from a wrecking yard on it and resold it for $400 profit. But just FYI, it wouldn't pass visual or blowby gas w/o it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts