Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.......

Just post up any little tricks or whatever you know of to hlep get through smog. This is assuming everything is working, but for say a motor that's tired and burns oil or whatever.
~John

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
You can do a "pre-test" at the smog place, with the comuter off-line with the DMV. This will let you know if you are going to have problems in the first place.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
rubbing alcohol in the gas tank;)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
depends on what the problem is.

If it is hydrocarbons, brand new clean oil and a very hot engine will help.

definitely pay for a pretest to avoid being black flagged as a gross pollutor

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Just for clarification, an engine can burn a crap load of oil, and still pass smog, just make sure the oil is clean. In other words, buring oil does not make HC, and CO numbers higher. BUT, oil can easily be contaminated with fuel, and cause those numbers to rise.

·
Premium Member
19,779 Posts
Yup, Change oil, Change PCV, Pretest

·
Registered
435 Posts
Spark plugs can make a difference too. I went from fail to barely passed on my DD 84 Sentra 4banger. Next year gets a new PCV and that junk in the tank that says it'll make ya pass no mattah what!

·
Wut?
14,912 Posts
My tricks:

1) new plugs, one stage HOTTER put in day before test
2) run a full tank of 76 super, with a bottle of 104+ AND a bottle of "smog check" (get this at pep boys) [WARNING: this lifts your octane to almost 106, be aware you WILL knock and ping if you are out of tune. Last time I did this I was running a 6AL and still had pings]
3) after filling up, drive right to the shop, stay a gear lower than normal, you want to heat the motor up nice and hot.
4)as everyone said, PRETEST.

5) if your prestest comes out bad, you can cheat a little bit. Install a brand new catlitic converter, then bore 2 holes 1/32 in size, about 1 inch and 2 inches back from the muffler. This introduses air into the exaust. Drill them on top of the pipe, and drill NO more than 2. The test computer will pick up the mod if you run them to big..and fail you. Its a bit tricky to get the right mix of air to trick the system, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Methonal

Run your tank down to about 1/4 gallon and then put about 1/2 gallon of methonal in. After it passes go fill up your tank. Works for me everytime. :D:D

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
My smog trick was to buy one presmog jeep.
I plan on green stickering my other.
Then I bought a diesel truck

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
run a full tank of 76 super, with a bottle of 104+ AND a bottle of "smog check" (get this at pep boys) [WARNING: this lifts your octane to almost 106, be aware you WILL knock and ping if you are out of tune. Last time I did this I was running a 6AL and still had pings]
You are on crack. higher octane fuel does not burn completely. Try 87 octane buddy. And it's not heat the motor up nice and hot, make sure that cat's hot. Also if your pile burns excessive amounts of oil replace it, the burnt oil clogs up the catalyst. And do change the oil and make sure egr and air injection (if applicatable) are in good working condition.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to work for a brit car shop and we had to have the late 70's POS's pass the sniffer test here in Texas. Here is what we would do:
Oil change
Clean out the jets in the carb
Lean out the mixture
Retard timing
Add RXP (small red bottle, available at PepBoy's, O'reilly's etc. This stuff was actually suggested by the guys running the machines)
The car was slow as hell getting to the test center, but the number were low enough to pass.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
AZRocks said:
Get your engine good and hot before testing.
If it is carbed, a computer controlled one will lean itself if cold - less emmissions. Therfore yank the tstat if it is computer controlled before the test..

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I always thought it was best to run the lowest octane possible to help pass. Anyways, make sure the engine is warmed up and, if you can, check that the sensors are working.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Brandon said:

If it is carbed, a computer controlled one will lean itself if cold - less emmissions. Therfore yank the tstat if it is computer controlled before the test..
Hate to break it to ya, but a cold computer controlled vehicle runs richer to help warm it up;) Thats why there is open and closed loop operation.

Brian--

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
blacklabjeep said:
Retard timing
If you retard the timing, it will slow the burn, and get lower HC readings, however, when the tech checks your timing, and realizes that the timing is not in spec, you will be failed:(

It might work in Texas, but not in California

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My 84 had new plugs, new cat, and new oil. Still failed. Burning to much oil. So I removed the hose that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner, stuck a bolt in the hole and slide the hose over it. Then under the air cleaner where the PVC goes to the Carb base plate i did the same thing. I think the motor had to much blow by, and when I did this it passed smog. Just barely, but good enough for me to sell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts