Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I searched but no luck on my ?. Ok here it is. I have a 77 eb with a 302. I just got it up and running a while ago. I put an edlebrock 4 barrel on it and it runs very well.. kinda. Runs smooth and drives well, but it is smoking out of the crank case vent and the tail pipe. As far as I know this motor sat for a while and didn't run much before I got it. I am going to do a compression test in a few days when I get time, but I was wondering if there were any ideas of what the problem's could be. I was thinking worn valve seals from not running. I have changed the oil and plugs also. I didn't seem to do it this bad when i first got it running. Once I drove it around for a while it started. Well anything ideas would help from you brothers. Thanks everyone. Flame Away
scott

·
Registered
616 Posts
if it sat for a while and the cylinders were'nt lubed(tranny fluid,wd-40,marvel mystery oil, etc.) theres a good chance rust built up. it could have wore one or more ring down, allowing a little blow by.
shon

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anything I can do for it or is it re-build time. I'm getting my hands on a fi 302 soon so I was just wanting this thing to make it around for a while. Thanks again

·
Registered
616 Posts
i'd wait on the results of your compression and leakdown test. i'm just shooting out "what if's" based on your info.
shon

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I havn't run it for that long. Drove it around town a few times that's about it. I don't think there is a pcv system on this. Well let me know if that sounds dumb. Thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Blue gray or whitish steam gray?

Blue Smoke= oil being burner either passing the rings or valve seals. If it is immediatly blue smoke on startup deiinitely valve seals. If it waits ti it is warm to start smoking it is oil getting past the rings into the combustion chamber.

White/lt grey: you are getting coolant into combustion chamber either through a crack in the block, head gasket or fawked up water passage.

How did the compression test go?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well havn't done it yet cause my freind with the guage has been sick, so I don't know whats up with that. It's probably more of a bluish color . It does it after it warms up for a sec.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ttt, oh also will an 86 FI 5.0 out of a cougar work for a conversion and what are the problem areas with this swap?? Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Compression done
1-140 5-140
2-140 6-135
3-135 7-140
4-140 8-140

Doing this found a cracked plug. Replaced the plug and re-tuned the carb that was running rich and it seems to be running better, no blow by and not smoking. It was raining out or I would have had it out on a test run, I'll keep ya filled in

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK so here I am again. Seemed to not smoke. But if I get it out there and drive it and realy get it warmed up it will smoke a bit out of the crank case, but not too much out of the tailpipe, and not as much as before. Any ideas?? Let me know. I still havn't realy got this thing out there and drove it alot. It has been around town and stuff. maybe a total of 20 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts