1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
specs,
Garret T04 turbo (60 trim)
on a Toyota straight six.

I just noticed it is smoking between the compressor and the turbine. I was planning on taking this rig to the hammers in a week. So I wonder if I can get away with one more wheeling trip or if it is a bomb waiting to go off?

Hell, if the turbo siezes, won't the engine still run? It is not a completely sealed system anyway..

here is a pic of a similar turbo (not my setup) and an arrow showing where it is blowing smoke from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Smoke is actually coming out of the turbine housing? And none comes out of your exhaust? If it's your turbo's seals which is quite likely, then you'll be fine for another trip. Just take care of it while you're still able to rebuild it.
Also, if this were on a diesel engine...it would be a bad idea to run the leaky turbo.

And did you try tightening the turbine housing to the centersection of the turbocharger?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, turbine housing itself.

And nothing really out of the exhaust.

This is a oil and water cooled turbo..
This is on a gasser..

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I just rebuilt mine with a kit from E-bay for a grand total of about 40 bucks. and it was really pretty simple. Hope that helps somewhat.

Rick.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
When you rebuild the tubro, make sure the drain line isn't clogged, too.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
This is a oil and water cooled turbo..
This is on a gasser..
Just a curious hijack....You say water cooled,do you mean a water jacketed turbine model say off a boat??? Reason I ask, is I had a set of M&W turbos I started to put on a SBC and I was told there was no way to get the water to cool down without a huge radiator for it.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
this makes no sense, if your blowing smoke between the center section and turbine housing... you will be blowing that same smoke out the exhaust too. maybe its just some crap burning off? or it could be a bad seal in between the center section and turbine housing. there is no gasket, just a metal to metal seal.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this makes no sense, if your blowing smoke between the center section and turbine housing... you will be blowing that same smoke out the exhaust too. maybe its just some crap burning off? or it could be a bad seal in between the center section and turbine housing. there is no gasket, just a metal to metal seal.
Perhaps, but I doubt it.

BTW, I took the intake off, I can move the mainshaft about 1/8th of an inch side to side, not much front to back tho..

There are coolant lines running to the turbo They are plumbed from the block to the thermostat housing. It works great. The motor never heats up (unless the f'n timing is off...)

·
Registered
21,813 Posts
smoke?

or just exhaust?

at the interface where the bearing housing (center section) goes into the turbine housing, there is a stainless steel heat dam, which also acts as the seal between the 2 parts. if it is just exhaust, then that area is not sealing well. i usually paint a little copper spray gasket on the formed ring when bolting those together, and try to clock the unit and tighten it up while the stuff is still a little tacky. copper antiseize would work as well (it turns into a nice chalky sealing material when it gets that hot)

now, if you actually have an eight inch of 'wobble' in the shaft, you got a bad turbo... try to turn it with it maxed out to one side and each point at 90 degrees (or more points) and see if you can get anything to rub. if it rubs then you better do the rebuild now, if not, then keep some extra oil with you, since you will be burning more than you would normally. chances are you do not have that much wobble, if you arent smoking (oil) like a freight train with bad injectors....

now, if you have actual smoke coming from that spot, then you might have oil sealing issues (piston ring type seal at the turbine end) but i would expect oil smoke out the exhuast as well. if you have oil smoke from there and the exhaust, there is a chance that wobble got so bad that the bearing housing area where the turbine end piston seal runs has been wallowed out and will never seal again... but again, since you havent mentioned worn out 2-stroke style smoke out the pipe, i doubt you are there...

i have a turbo in between the carb and the 360 in my comanche. (yeah, i know, terrible idea, thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to post up about that)

more info on your smoke situation?

peace
Dave

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1/8" is an estimate. I'll get actual measurements when the turbo is removed. There is significant play. I can grab it with the tip of my finger and move it back and forth..

Currently it is parked for a rebuild. Easy, who did you get the rebuild kit from??

the exhaust exits under the rig. So it is kinda hard to get a good approximation of how much oil it is actually burning. The motor does use a lot of oil. And the plugs look good so I don't think it is the rings or valves.

I am also concerned about the turbine. There appears to be some sort of contact on the edge of the tines (not the compressor housing ends but the "Face"). I cannot for the life of me identify how those got there..

Crappy pics, but you can see the "shiny" parts on the leading edge of the turbine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Forced induction, and oil burning, leave clean plugs, its relatively close to a diesel setup, as the compression ratios get real close between the two.

here is a link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know they are e-gay, but I have been to the wharehouse/rebuild facility many times about 8 years ago. Huge outfit and been around a long time. My kit was perfect.

Good luck bud,
Rick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts