Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a washboard tamer set up.
Not looking to fly through whoops.
More of a daily 3 or 4 time a week freeway flyer with use on dirt roads of Mojave and Baja. Some use on the beaches of Baja too.
Any ideas?
Gracias
SFB

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my OME coils & IFS. Did GREAT in the sand dunes. Helped me win the drag race in a 4-door.

·
Registered
703 Posts
my calmini 5" reverse shackle lift is really stable at high speed and it has sufficient flex for mild off roading, but it's kind of a stiff ride. I think if I raised the shock mounts and put on some taller shocks it would have more articulation, but I don't need it for what I do.

You can get the same lift and a softer ride doing a spring over axel lift with softer springs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
On my buddies ride,the P/O adapted an air-ride suspension for a tj(heep).That thing rides sweet and flexes great.It might be a little 2 complicated for a rockcrawler,but it rides like a damn caddy..........I'll try to find some more info on the susp. system they used.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The YJ spring swap is pretty nice and pretty low buck compared to coils. If you are still using it on the freeway though you should buy or build a track bar in the front and try to keep your sway bar.

·
Registered
453 Posts
my calmini 5" reverse shackle lift is really stable at high speed and it has sufficient flex for mild off roading, but it's kind of a stiff ride. I think if I raised the shock mounts and put on some taller shocks it would have more articulation, but I don't need it for what I do.

You can get the same lift and a softer ride doing a spring over axel lift with softer springs.
I've read the Calmini's get much softer if aftermarket bumpers, camping gear, winches etc get added.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
yeah, I think air is the best spring and cushiest ride. you just gotta get the 'right' shocks for your washboard.....

I was thinking of some 4" diameter dual action pneumatic cylinders, so I could run with only 30 or so psi instead of 250 with a much smaller one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
probably cheaper would be YJ's with a shackle reversal up front...
I agree about shackle reversal and yj's. You can use toy minitruck springs too.

Mario

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Swweeeet Ride on the street!

I'm looking forward to getting it dirty!
The ride on the street is fantastic!
Very Soft but not so soft that it bottoms out.

I'll let ya'll know how it does in the dirt.
SFB

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting it dirty!
The ride on the street is fantastic!
Very Soft but not so soft that it bottoms out.

I'll let ya'll know how it does in the dirt.
SFB
Well, I have done most everything to Zuks over the years. SPOA, rears up front, CJ rears, Toyota mini truck leafs, YJs, coils, and air shocks. Best bang for the buck for a simple rig is the OME springs. I have been very happy with them on my current mild Samurai build. It is mostly a city car and lite wheeler. Road manners are very good. I slam it into turns like a stock Samurai, but when I hit a bump in the road I don't break my back, the OME springs just soak it up. The rear is a little stiff if you hit a speed bump at the wrong speed, but that is the case for most anything on a Samurai.

I have really been impressed with the springs off road. I didn't think they would do well off-road since they work so well on-road. They flex well, and eat up a good bit of the annoying bumps. They don't do much for the very small rough surfaces, but do better well on the bigger bumps. Best of all, you don't get a bunch of lift or body flex from these springs, so very comfortable to wheel in off camber stuff.

Again, for the price, they are great. You won't get much more then a 30" tire under the Samurai with out a bunch of body work.

-Wayne

·
Registered
22 Posts
SF Bob,

I have run thousands of miles of Baja Norte in my samurai. Rocky, sandy, wide open, muddy, you name it... From Mexicali to San Felipe, to Ensenada and ElGulfo... Always via the dirt... I have progressively moved through a bunch of suspensions, but ended up running YJ Shackle Reversal (aired down to about 8 PSI on 31s..)

I have logged miles and miles on my GPS, guess what my average speed is over all? 12.5 mph... Thats as cushy as I can make it ..

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
springs are springs... if the rates are in the right range then it will ride the same whether it is leafs or coils, a link suspension will control the axle better though. what you need to focus on are shocks (valving) and the amount of travel in the suspension.

·
Registered
338 Posts
All fine points, but for my two cents, my crappy little damn near stock ifs sidekick soaked up the potholed, washboard roads MUCH better than my solid axled leaf sprung samurai. IFS has its uses, thats why the CORR and SCORE trucks all run IFS.(IFS that costs more than my whole truck). A nearly stock sidekick may be all you need.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
springs are springs... if the rates are in the right range then it will ride the same whether it is leafs or coils, a link suspension will control the axle better though. what you need to focus on are shocks (valving) and the amount of travel in the suspension.
Haha! Do you really believe that?

Leaf springs are a different critter entirely. One simple difference is FRICTION. The other is progressive spring rates. An OEM coil is usually progressive similar to a leaf spring, but most aftermarket springs for the off-road industry are not progressive. I have yet to see an aftermarket coil kit for the Samurai that uses a progressive spring. :(

I'm not saying leafs are bad, just different. I think it is harder to make a good suspension using leaf springs.

I like my OME leafs in my Samurai, they are far better then stock, but with that said, if I had the time and money to spend I would love to to a link suspension on this little beast.

-Wayne

1 - 20 of 20 Posts