Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going to wait a while to post these pics, but it was becoming a distraction in another users thread, so we decided to start a new one. Apologies for overshadowing the last thread.

Regardless here is the overhaul:

The build started with a previously built Sniper Chassis from Avalanche Engineering. A very formidable, well built vehicle in its day.

The chassis was stripped completely and prepared for sandblasting.

A freshly blasted chassis. The welded on steel panels were carefully removed, and the sheetmetal welds were ground smooth.

Aside from removing the existing mounting tabs, the interior/cockpit area would remain the same as it arrived from avalanche.

The first order of business was to chop the top off the original chassis. The driver/owner is 6'2", and previously had 1" of clearence between his head and the top of the cage while wearing a helmet. The driver's head would also ride half way outside the cage while driving, and was deemed unsafe during the case of a hard side roll. Improvments were needed in this area. 1.5" Steel Slug were machined and driven down into the existing chassis 12", to reinforce/align the new upper cage half. They were machined with a shoulder/groove to allow for depth alignment and final welding.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cage Work

Here is what remains of the original top half

The original top half utilized a halo design. A new design with one piece diagonal hoops was utilized on the new upper chassis. The new upper chassis is 4" taller, and 4" wider around the drivers head.

Recreating the signature avalanche sniper eye brow

The central node.

Fully TIG welded. Fabricated from 1.75" x 0.134 DOM tube.

The door bars were removed next.

The new bars were reinforced to help stiffen areas prone to collisions and bending.

Once existing body panels and roof panels were removed, along with their corresponding mounting tabs, new 1/4 turn fasteners were used to attach the new panels. Each panel was first mocked up using 1/4" masonite panels. These panels are easy to work with and cheap to cut with a waterjet. There are 22 panels in all. There are 212 total 1/4 turn fasteners.

The driver inner fender was recreated to allow room for the new hydroboost unit.

The hydroboost unit.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I still think the sniper might be my favorite chassis design, I hope it stays true to that a little. That rust is making me cringes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Paint, and Engine Mockup

A finished bare chassis, resandblasted, and sent to paint.

The chassis fresh from the painter. Ford Performance Red was the color of choice. The interior and all existing sheetmetal work was lined with grey bedliner.

Test fitting the hood, cowl, and lexan body panels.

The power plant courtesy of Turn Key Engine Supply

more thread pics to follow....

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sick build! Color scheme is VERY NICE!

Sure am glad I didn't sell my 1/4 turn stocks! :smokin:

Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
this thread is sweet, I have always loved the sniper, very nice fab work, keep the pics commin,

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Very sweet, the good old Sniper. Probably one of the first buggies that made buggies popular ~ along with the scorpion of course. Funny how these Snipers disapeared ~ nice to see one still kickin'

Awesome work on that lexan. I can't believe how many fasteners you're using, but it looks great!

·
Registered
862 Posts
man i i like the build keep the pic's coming, i like the lexan i made mine the same way i used 1/4'' smokey gray

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nice work. Those Lexan pannels give it an interesting look. I love the Snipers, I saw that one a few times in Farmington.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

www.asshogger.com/v2

I'll sign up when I get home from vacation. My neighbor Rob (red YJ project with 715 axles and 42's, bunch of work done at AH) has been telling me about this rebuild for months now, nice to finally see some pics.

Talk about BLING BLING, unlimited budget must be nice. I still have to stop by the shop one of these days just to check it out.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Man I loved the Sniper chassis. I think Dibbles Buggy belings in that family. Some day i'm gonna rob a bank and build something like that.:laughing:

·
Registered
862 Posts
i cant hater, because if i had the money, i would build somthing like that to:D

it only takes money, sweet rig

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That thing is looking awesome. What ever happened to the Sniper chassis anyways, they kind of just disapeared. Look forward to more updates.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts