Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Goat1 - I just spent a month living at 5000' outside of Oakhurst. Almost no snow at 5000', some at 6000' and starts to pick up after that. A friend owns a ranch at 7900' above Florence Lake (above Huntington Lake) and says the land is under about 9' of snow right now. So.... chances are you'll find some.

Hasn't snowed in a while though - don't expect light and fluffy.

Paul

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
supposed to rain in Tulare wed/thur for sure. look for more snow
in the mnts above Shaver.....

--Sherpa

·
Registered
897 Posts
just got down from bald, that will be fun with fresh powder and pure ice underneath. this morning was ok but in late afternooon everything was ice. have fun!;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought they closed those trails till spring because there is TOO much snow? That and they turn them into snow mobile trails... figured that out when I saw the little signs 10 feet off the ground on the trees :D

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
ALWJ said:
I thought they closed those trails till spring because there is TOO much snow? That and they turn them into snow mobile trails... figured that out when I saw the little signs 10 feet off the ground on the trees :D
Bald Mountain is open year round, all of the others are closed at first snow.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
bringing back a year old thread.

I am going to be down that way for xmas, and if I don't make it all the way south to the hammers, I want to do some snow wheeling. Is bald the only place that is unplowed and ungated in the entire area? Any FS roads that are open/unplowed?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Pretty much. There may be some areas up at Bass Lake but I'm not that familiar with that area. I'm sure bald has enough now for a cheap thrill. Have fun

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Bald MT. is pretty much a cheap thrill anyway you cut it:flipoff2: It was awsome camping by the lookout over the 4th of July tho;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
There is star lakes and iron lakes trails up above Oakhurst. They are easy trails, but they get exponentially harder in the snow, if you can make it to them. We keep going up, it's not too bad right now. I was pushing snow with my bumper last weekend (on the super duty). If anybody is going in the area, gimme a pm or email at [email protected]

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
i think 'freds40' ran bald mt with some guys from marlins shop last weekend???
Yeah it was two weekends ago. There was a foot and a half and then the next day they supposedly got a ton more. If you enter the trail from the south end off Rock Creek rd, theres a few fun climbs. It's mainly a lot of throttle work, not too much finesse (?) on Bald in the winter. Still a blast to wind the Toy up to 5 grand and let it fly. :flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts