Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Depends on the weather on any given year. I have seen years where there is next to no snow until January. No real answer to this question try the Farmers Almanac

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
BUDLIGHT said:
when is the best time to make a snow run :confused:
Uhhh, when there is snow :confused:you might try in the winter :idea:

Keep in mind that snow is not forgiving and if you are not prepaired you are risking you life.

With such a open end question I would suggest you dont go in the snow.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
BEAR said:
Keep in mind that snow is not forgiving and if you are not prepaired you are risking you life.

With such a open end question I would suggest you dont go in the snow.
I agree, if you have to ask a question like "when is the best time to make a snow run" you should probably stay home. The Rubicon is not very forgiving in the winter if you don't know what you are doing.

If you do go, be prepared and go with multiple rigs with winches. Also, make sure there is enough snow so you don't cause damage to the trail. There should be atleast 3 feet in my opinion. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Disco said:
If you do go, be prepared and go with multiple rigs with winches. Also, make sure there is enough snow so you don't cause damage to the trail. There should be atleast 3 feet in my opinion. ;)
Right on, Tim! :cool2: If you do go, go well-prepared, and make sure someone knows your planned route and return time, just in case. Certainly, plan to be self-sufficient, because Search and Rescue is costly, but have a backup plan, as well, so that if you don't make it home, SAR will know where to look for your popsicle-ed butt after the storm breaks.

Randii

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i live in drum forbay so i know what snow is, and ive been to eagel lakes in the snow but never the con :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Try going from Georgetown to Ice House Road before you tackle the Rubicon. Deep snow should develop after Christmas, but has been known to be there sooner. Take all the above advise very seriously as frozen toes and SAR are no fun.

Scott

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Disco said:
I agree, if you have to ask a question like "when is the best time to make a snow run" you should probably stay home. The Rubicon is not very forgiving in the winter if you don't know what you are doing.

LOL

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
We're doing a snow run to the Con in Feb. Last year was a blast even though only two of our members and one sic individual by the handle of "Breakitin" were up to the challange. You're welcome to join us if you're locked and on at least 36's. Check out our wesite and BB for the latest info.

Four Dice Four Wheel Drive Club

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Tim is correct -- the traditional Rubicon Trail (Georgetown-Wentworth-Ellis-Sluice-Buck-Springs-Tahoma) remains open year-round. The road between the Loon Lake Chateau and the FOTR Kiosk at the Loon Spillway is closed in a cooperative agreement between OHVs/4x4s and over-the-snow non-motorized recreationalists (like XC skiers), and has been since the late 80's. Beyond the kiosk, a small section of the slabs is closed, as well -- stay on the bowl side of Gatekeeper, and you'll be outside the area closed by Forest Order CR261.56.

Search a bit on this forum, there are plenty of details about this user agreement, the forest order, and the areas affected. Here's a start:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195010&highlight=Loon

IMHO, smokd does have one good point. It *is* a good idea to minimize traffic on the trail between melt and dry, when wheelspin has the biggest impact. If you 'wheel at that time, try to be 'soft on the land.'

Supporting responsible recreation year 'round,

Randii

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The facts I got are from the Forest Rangers Mouth. Right or wrong, I thought that I would share the info. Do with it what you want. :flipoff2: It wont be long before the Wentworth access becomes a hot topic of closure if it already isn't.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
smokd said:
The facts I got are from the Forest Rangers Mouth. Right or wrong, I thought that I would share the info. Do with it what you want. :flipoff2: It wont be long before the Wentworth access becomes a hot topic of closure if it already isn't.
Thanks for sharing, especially since you got it straight from a ranger... but the communication between you and the ranger got confused, either in delivery, reception, or translation.

As to winter 'wheeling being a hot issue, since it really is a form of over-the-snow recreation, I'd say that it is the most secure form of 'wheeling available on the Rubicon. :cool2: It has few of the impact, overuse, or hygiene issues that are plaguing summer (popular) use. Wet-ground times are a different story, but a few feet of snow on the ground translates to treading VERY lightly.

Randii

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
smokd said:
It wont be long before the Wentworth access becomes a hot topic of closure if it already isn't.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Here we go again
:rolleyes: :shaking:

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
No we don't Rich, I won't stand for such bad misinformation here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts