Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Moving to Montana soon with my FJcruiser.... I'm no stranger to wheeling but snow wheeling, I'm a virgin .... although a subjective I was wondering what are some highly desired/recommended items/equipment for snow wheeling?.. currently I have a 3in. lift, 2 tow straps( 30' & 60'), D-rings, MRE's( and other cold weather gear)... General AT2 tires...& Hi-Lift.... I'm planning on buying some tire chains, looking into getting a winch and light bars. MaxTrax would be nice but on a limited budget

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
if you want to go far, wilson hit it on the head.

a few smaller items to make your experience better would be a couple ski/snowboard shovels and a mini compressor for airing up your tires (so you can run them at super low pressures and be able to air up at the end of the day.)

most people would be surprised how far you can go with shovels, a winch, and good snow tires aired way down

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look into onboard air. I have a co2tank but don't know yet if there are any places in great falls to fill it up. How low of air pressure? I usually drop it mine down to about 15. Fixed income, can't afford bigger tires. 285/75/16's will have to do. I'm eyeballing Demello's tubed prerunner winch bumper or the OEM looking US Off road winch mount.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I run 0-2lbs in my tires snow wheeling but i have beadlocks. drop them as far as you can before the bead starts falling off, usually 5-8lbs. A can of starting fluid or that super cheap hair spray work wonders to reseat a bead.

I'm sure there's a welding company to fill up your co2 tank. DO NOT use the starting fluid/hair spray trick to reseat your bead if you are going to use co2

·
P.B.A.
4,375 Posts
I'll look into onboard air. I have a co2tank but don't know yet if there are any places in great falls to fill it up. How low of air pressure? I usually drop it mine down to about 15. Fixed income, can't afford bigger tires. 285/75/16's will have to do. I'm eyeballing Demello's tubed prerunner winch bumper or the OEM looking US Off road winch mount.
Air down till one of the tires comes off the rim. Then go up 1lb. Bigger wider tires truck needs to be lighter. The best rig I've ever seen in the snow was a regular cab Toyota dual cases 39" x18" wide Mickey Thompson baja belted. Thing got on top and just crawled every where. He was ifs in the front too rear mounted winch be cause when he was usually breaking trail.

·
Registered
57 Posts
These guys have hit most of the important stuff. If you are going to have a friend bring a shovel for them too, lots of digging may take place. A winch is one of the best thing to get you have and not spend the night in the cold snow. If you have a winch its also good to have a snatch block and strap. Tire chains can be good for some snow but none of us deep snow wheelers use them, they dig and we want to stay on top of the snow, spinning tires and not making it probably means your getting stuck, back out before your screwed. I like to have some dry kindling and a few blocks of dry wood and of course a sure way of lighting them. First aid kit is always good and enough food to stay the night and be happy! Its just best to find other guys and go along with them in a group so that way you know they will help you get unstuck and home. Post pics for us this winter!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Some of the best wheeling in MT is in the winter time. I would add the winch for sure, next would be lockers. If you could get into the 35" tire range that would be much better. Chains are for ice, not snow wheeling(I have wished that I had them a couple times). Most important thing to have is another rig to go with. Not sure if there is a club in Great Falls, there is one in Helena, Frontier Fourwheelers. Give me a shout if you ever come this way.

·
Registered
747 Posts
:laughing:, co2 is what most fire extinguishers are filled with. :flipoff2:
Not to be a douche about technicalities, but most fire extinguishers are the dry chem type that are filled with powder (amonnium phosphate in ABC or sodium bicarbonate in BC commonly) then pressurized with either dry air or nitrogen to ensure that the powder doesn't get wet. On the other hand co2 extinguishers are in fact charged with co2. They are less common though as they do not carry a class A rating for combustible solids. I also use co2 as the shielding gas for my mig, it doesn't go boom.
Eta- fire exts kept my family fed for a couple years.. I wish I could forget this crap.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
gumboot cloggeroo
_irate4x4 com
1,862 Posts
CO (carbon monoxide) is what's explosive. I think the range is 12-75% concentrations.

CO and CO2 are sometimes confused.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Depending on the snow amont/condition, wouldn't sometimes be better a thin but high tire instead of a large one?
Where I wheel, never. In areas that get 1-2' where it is possible to get down to terra firma I could see that approach being successful. Here we are driving on 4-20+ feet of snow! where flotation is your only chance.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
CO (carbon monoxide) is what's explosive. I think the range is 12-75% concentrations.

CO and CO2 are sometimes confused.
I remember being on a trip and the guy was using something out of a tank to fill his tires and another guy asked if he could borrow it to reseat a bead. the guy who owned the tank said no because it would explode if lit. I have no idea what he was filling his tires up with but i ASSumed CO2. Good to know it won't explode, I think I'd rather just carry a CO2 tank with me now!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just in case you eber get an edc oba setup..........Where I do most of my snow runs there isn't anything to anchor to for winching (no trees, boulders, etc. and I'm usually the only vehicle out there.) I carry 8 or so 5/8" ground rods that are cut down to 5', an IR air hammer and a short piece of chain to connect the rods if needed. Sometimes you can end up in situations where you can't reach a good anchor point and a "deadman" can easily be put anywhere with these, just be sure to drive them well below cover when done.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts