Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The RC Dana 60 in my Jeep has leaked (couple drops a day) for many years from the diff cover. I have tried to seal it up multiple times to no avail. I have tried a variety of RTVs etc. I surmise the shop that originally shaved it didn't have the best plan/design for a leak proof seal.

Any suggestions for a shop in So Cal (closer to Los Angeles the better) that has the ability to repair this and hopefully stop the leak

TIA

·
Registered
413 Posts
If it was me I would groove the gap and fill the whole thing in with weld to build it up and then carefully flap wheel it down. Do the same to the cover and then right stuff the hell out of it. Not the "right" way but it would be fixed forever.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could do a better surface job eyeballing it with a flap disc. :barf:
What do you mean by surface job?

The problem lies at the bottom where it was shaved there is nothing behind the cover for it to seal to. There is a groove all along the inside of the lip that extends on the bottom (not so clear in the pics) and the cover fits into that groove. The idea was that with RTV the cover would seal up in that groove.

I think eat.sleep.wheel has the right idea for a solution. i think another bolt near the bottom would be helpful so long as there is a backing for the cover to seal against.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So it looks like they cut the bottom and then welded a plate that over hangs the face ? I think the way to fix it would be cut the old plate out and weld in a new one that is surfaced to the cover mounting face then see if you can get some bolts in near the lower corners and rtv the shit out of the bottom.

The pics don't make it very clear though.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
welp up the low spots and flap disk down the high spots, use a sharpie and a cheapo level to eyeball it closer enougher

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,748 Posts
Why did you shave a 60 in the first place?
15 years ago, lots of companies shaved 60s. Currie among them. Whoever built this axle was a dip shit. It needs a thicker plate on the bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts