Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this thread sucks ass.. Here's a real question. Answer if you dare.

Has anybody tried a front quarter elliptic suspension? Why or why wouldn't this work well?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,972 Posts
ROKN ZJ said:
Yes its been tried. If you have the spring facing behind the axle it wont try to climb anything as just try to push the axle backwards. Now if you have the pring in front of the axle that could work, but youd have to have all the link facing fowards as well
(I think Walker Evans rig is like this??)
Please don't comment again on this like that that you obviously have no clue about.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
There was a post in Gen 4x4 awhile back. I forget who it was but somthing makes me say it was an avalanche vehicle. I could be wrong. Anyway he said it worked so well that the other competitors got mad at him, so he quit. Dont know how true that is.

I think it would be a good setup. Would be really hard to do though with your links, steering, and driveshaft to deal with.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i think it would work very well, the problem that i see, and why i think many people don't do it is beacue you have significant space restraints in front. It is hard enough getting a 4-link to fit in there without the added size of a quarter elliptical leaf pack

as far as not performing that is total B.S.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I have never seen one in person, but the video i saw of one was of an LC with it, springs were behind the axle and as the guy was trying to throttle his way up a water fall/ledge and something happened, not sure what, but it caused his spring to shatter for the most part, causing major carnage, the spring went off like a bomb, imo its not a good idea, but then again who the hell am I

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
mjs408 said:
I have never seen one in person, but the video i saw of one was of an LC with it, springs were behind the axle and as the guy was trying to throttle his way up a water fall/ledge and something happened, not sure what, but it caused his spring to shatter for the most part, causing major carnage, the spring went off like a bomb, imo its not a good idea, but then again who the hell am I
just because someone broke one doesn't mean they are bad.

60's break all the time yet you don't hear people running around talking about how bad they are (except Camo)

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
Walker Evans (old rig, now owned by RedBullJeep) uses a front leading arm suspension (I believe). Don't know if it's 1/4 Elliptic or not. You could make it work, but I do think that a leading arm would work better than trailing. One of the biggest problems you would have is smacking your links on rocks, but there are ways arond that was well... Yeller Blazer has a nice arm setup on his Blazer where the arms are fairly well right up against frame until such point as they angle down to the axle. If you could do something similar on a leading arm suspension, it could be made to work quite well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.