Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how much snow is up there so far? I know more is on the way. Anybody been up there on snow machines? Pics or video would be cool.

Kinda trying so get an idea of how early we can take a trip in there.

·
P.B.A.
4,328 Posts
Wondering how much snow is up there so far? I know more is on the way. Anybody been up there on snow machines? Pics or video would be cool.

Kinda trying so get an idea of how early we can take a trip in there.
If you have Instagram you can search hashtags and see pictures. Huge holes up there and tree wells right now. I’m thinking may probably.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Went up there in my toyota and a small group 2 weekends ago to the beer tree in the bottom of the bowl and back. I would guess around 6ft+. I know when you broke through the top you where not going to find bottom with a shovel anytime soon. Got a couple pics if somoene wants to post them for me

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Pics from Purpledecember.

I'll let him elaborate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
More.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
is that at loon lake?

and is it just me or do those pics look like they found them in a box labeled "winter 1977" :laughing:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say his camera lens was wet or foggy. been there done that.. Looks like fun, alot of snow up there. Probably alot deeper once you get in farther. I'm guessing the snow from say Observation peak to Tahomas gotta be 20' or better?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
It's around 6/7' were I'm going, but it's not how deep, it's how frozen on top it is. Go after a deep freeze early in the morning and 2 lb air (go prepared to spend the night) if it gets warm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2nd picture with silver 4runner is loon lake to the left with trucks on the dam/spillway. Not sure how deep the snow was on the lake but they where riding snowmobiles accross it. Sorry pictures arent the greatest but thats how they turned out.

Picture with the blue buggy in backround is beer tree in the bottom of the bowl. Picture with all the rigs headed up hill is coming out of bowl to gate keeper. And Tims right traction was great until 1ish then soft spots started popping up that made progress slow but doable very low air pressure was definitly the key for that day.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Wow, that pic of the rigs on the dam with Loon on the left. Impressive amount of snow. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Heard Jim Job headed for the box from Beer tree, don't know if he made it ?

I'v wheeled with Jim in the snow:laughing: Guy is a beast.

Watched him run over Barrett one time.

Dog popped up out of the snow and bolted...Wandered back a bit later. That was the only time I saw him let the dog sleep in the rig with him.

I would be more surprised to find out he didn't make to the box.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Here's a couple pics of today's run into Wentworth Springs. First pic is where I stopped at the trailhead, second pic is showing snow depth. I think the sign might 4' or 5' high.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Yea, I went up about 1/2--3/4 mile and turned around, the low branches and deep treewells were getting a little sketchy, I'll be up next week I'm tryin' to make it to the campground. Then the loop to loon.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Tahoe side staging area today. Close to 8 feet of snow. Got pretty warm and the snow is still pretty firm but getting very mushy. Made it to Buck Creek fairly easy (no winching) past that is gonna take some work!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts