Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Ya, poor kid is a trooper. From the info I got it took an hour from buck back to loon, and then almost 2 hours to UCD. Was still in the hospital yesterday. I'm just getting up for nights and haven't looked for updates yet. Every time they give her another shot of anti venom, its another 24 hours before they can decide to release her or give her another shot. From what I got, itll be 6 ish months of no to little weight bearing on that leg. Snake never even rattled, hit her in the foot from under a rock as she was walking past it. :(

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Ya, poor kid is a trooper. From the info I got it took an hour from buck back to loon, and then almost 2 hours to UCD. Was still in the hospital yesterday. I'm just getting up for nights and haven't looked for updates yet. Every time they give her another shot of anti venom, its another 24 hours before they can decide to release her or give her another shot. From what I got, itll be 6 ish months of no to little weight bearing on that leg. Snake never even rattled, hit her in the foot from under a rock as she was walking past it. :(
That's crazy, I've always worried about that with the kids, especially in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I hope she recovers quickly. I have never seen a rattler up there.
I was at Barney Riley with flip flops on and almost stepped on one. Not very big snake, maybe 10 inches. It was near a spring we went to explore.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Here's some more good thoughts headed out....

That said.....

I've never seen an honest politician.....
Um wait No strike that.
I've never seen a tornado when I was in tornado alley back when, don't mean they were not there.
Keep yer eyes open , mouth shut (=stereo off) walk lightly, and who knows what'll show up:D

·
Team 261 - VP
4,866 Posts
I honestly never worried about rattle snakes up there. Figured it was too cold most of the year.
I always thought that too. I have been on the Rubicon every year, since 1979. I had never seen, or heard (pre-internet) of anyone seeing one or getting bit...until Sept 2004, I almost got bit getting on my ATV at the Hairpin on Cadillac.

Then 2 years ago, we ran into a huge fatty on the slabs...and I know Edwin had one got under an airmattress or something on the RTF Property.

So 1979 to 2004...nothing. 2004 to 2019, personally saw 2 and heard of 2 more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Toyota Rubithon last year. Rockpile across the trail from the helipad in the Springs. A bunch of kids doing an RC Crawler course. Definitely heard rattles coming from there. No Wraiths were bitten.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
It was on the rock pile right across from Mark & Maria's cabin, bunch of kids playing, thankfully one of em spotted it before anything happened. I much prefer bears sniffing around than the snakes anytime.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I always thought that too. I have been on the Rubicon every year, since 1979. I had never seen, or heard (pre-internet) of anyone seeing one or getting bit...until Sept 2004, I almost got bit getting on my ATV at the Hairpin on Cadillac.

Then 2 years ago, we ran into a huge fatty on the slabs...and I know Edwin had one got under an airmattress or something on the RTF Property.

So 1979 to 2004...nothing. 2004 to 2019, personally saw 2 and heard of 2 more.
Been wondering about this. I agree- pre-about 10-12 years ago, never saw 'em. We always assumed too high. Then I have 2 close calls in the springs, with them cruising right through camp, one of them crawling up onto a jeep drivetrain once spotted. And, my question, if they are expanding in their territory, why have they not gone into the Tahoe basin? Or is that just a matter of time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont think rattlers are expanding their range. Ive seen rattlers in the Sierras my entire life. Some days you are just luckier or not as to whether you have an encounter.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Rattlers were around the slabs in the Springs before 2000. Wife got chased out of a SidBuilt with her pants down! Brother picked up a stick while in his beach chair...It wiggled! After that we did all we could to keep them out of the tent etc. Probably not eco friendly......sprays but effective.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts