Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gettign ready to fab up a new cage for my ride. I have a Williams Hy-bend machine and welder, and picked up one of those tubing notcher gizmos for tracing the pattern onto the tube end. I also have 100 ft of 1.75/.120 HREW mild steel tubing. I could not afford the price of DOM.

Now I just need some ideas.

I am starting completely from scratch. I have nothing to build onto because I scrapped the old cage.

I have to incorporate two new Beard bucket seats, and a Simpson child safety seat for the peanut. I want to position the simpson seat between my wife and I, but pushed slightly back so there is enough room for the shifter.

I like the look of the Poison Spyder cage design, but I think the mounting design is sketchy. I think there is a lot of room for improvement. Still, I want the end product to 'look' like the PSC kit, but if you were trying to build something like this, what would you change? Please be as drastic as you want. I am new to wheeling with a child so if there is some key issue that needs to be dealt with, please mention it.

BTW, room to change a diaper is important too. :D

The vehicle is a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 with Wrangler YJ halfdoors and soft top.

thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
May not be what you are after, but maybe you could get an idea or two. This is a cage I built for Skrd2whl. 2" all the way around. You would have to put a dip in the bar that runs behind the seats to allow the Simpson, but that is no big deal. That would just pull the B diags farther away from your head. It is mounted to the frame at the B and the rear tubes. The fronts are in the normal spots above the frame body mounts.

hey, how big is that RCI you have in there.?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I like a bar on each side so it slides well on trees and rocks. A and B hoops are 1960's technology. I just redid my Willys cage to get rid of that crap.

Bent this up for Johnson's CJ. Gusset and Xmember as you like

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Lame, for future jobs.......rotate the frame plates so they are like diamonds, and run beads past the points. Less chance of a frame cracking.....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keith, thanks for posting those pics. Excellent work I must say!

I really like the top spreaders. Like you said, I would have to push the bars behind the seats back to allow for enough room for the simpson.

the RCI is a 15 gallon tank. RCI# 2161A from summit. There is about 3 inches of space between the tank and each fenderwell. Supposedly the stock rear bench seat will fit in the stock location with the tank. I don't have the seat anymore (should have kept it..).

I am hoping to get started on the cage this friday. I need to finish up reinforcing the floor in a few spots and and make up the a few more cage footers and then we are off to the races with the bender :D .

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Keith said:
Lame, for future jobs.......rotate the frame plates so they are like diamonds, and run beads past the points. Less chance of a frame cracking.....
Good point.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,800 Posts
Another view. 1.75 DOM. 77CJ7 with YJ half doors. Didn't seem possible to keep the doors and a functional glovebox. The 1/2 door is just too wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is how I plan on making mine when I get a few days of warmer weather. I am sure it will change a little but you (and I) get the idea.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Beat95YJ said:
Keith, Like those spreaders...
Yeah...like those.
I had to add an extra bend in mine cuz the B hoop was 2" taller than the A hoop. I think I will do them halo style from now on, or like Lame's.
All those cages look pretty nice though. :D

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,800 Posts
Keith said:
Yeah...like those.
I had to add an extra bend in mine cuz the B hoop was 2" taller than the A hoop. I think I will do them halo style from now on, or like Lame's.
All those cages look pretty nice though. :D

We had two straight bars in, and we were about to tack it when we decided to have somebody sit in it. A good idea in retrospect. I am short enough that I would have been ok. Everybody else would be ruined.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts