Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend that wanted a cage built for his Scrambler. I hadn't built a cage yet, and figured I might as well give it a shot. The guy was very particular. He wanted to keep the factory roll bar, and he wanted to tie the cage into it. I also had to work around the fact that he is 6'6", and needed all the room he could keep. He also did not want an "X" behind the seats, so I did a "V" so that it would have some support. All 6 places that it hits the floor are tied into the frame via GenRight mounts. The tubing is 1.5" .250wall DOM, except for the 2 center spreaders which are 1.5" Sch40. Take it easy on me, its my first cage after all... and I did it one handed

I apologize in advance for the shitty cell pics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
.250 wall! That's a heavy fawkin cage... Nice work though.

And I'm a certified welder...I can barely weld plate one-handed. It'd come out looking like complete ass and bird shat if I tried to weld tube one handed. Good lookin work.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.250 wall! That's a heavy fawkin cage... Nice work though.

And I'm a certified welder...I can barely weld plate one-handed. It'd come out looking like complete ass and bird shat if I tried to weld tube one handed. Good lookin work.

damn. Curious why you went with .25?
We traded some old jeep parts for a BUNCH of 20' sticks of the 1.5"/.250 wall tubing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Did you take those pictures with a toaster? :flipoff2:

Looks damn good. Must have been fun to bend all that 1/4 wall.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you take those pictures with a toaster? :flipoff2:

Looks damn good. Must have been fun to bend all that 1/4 wall.

Actually- I took them with my blender

I have a big Bendpak hydraulic bender out of a muffler shop like these:
Pipe Bender, Tubing Bender, Exhaust Pipe Benders, Muffler Bender - BendPak

... so the .250 wall stuff isnt a problem :D Thanks for the input. The design wasnt optimal for strength, but the guy didnt want any vertical triangulation because he camps out of the rig and wanted to retain access to the bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts