Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the fix for this? And how do I keep it from happening to the rest of the frame?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What vehicle?

Cut the old hanger off, plate the frame with some wide 3/16" or 1/4" angle. Do both sides. You can purchase new spring hangers.

Unfortunately, it appears that your frame is rotting out from the inside (as most do). This is the early warning stages of bigger and worse things to come. Get ready to eventually either part the vehicle out or swap in a new or good used frame.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Look's like the 'flexible' 5 frame...:laughing:

Time to build a new one.
In the meantime, what Hackfab said is your best bet for a temperary fix.

Keep an eye on the frame at every spring/shackle mount from here on out. Hopefully you won't get to this point...

:shaking:

Here's how I patched that mess up.

Grind out the cracks...

Straighten (ya right) out the frame...

Scab plate I made up with some 3/16 plate.

Scab plate and straps clamped down.

I also strapped the other side in the same spot...

Yes...I know my welds suck...:flipoff2:

This winter I'll be building a new frame from 2 X 4 X .120 Rect tube. as I am tired of chasing cracks :homer:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
..Get ready to eventually either part the vehicle out or swap in a new or good used frame.
Take the advice people on the board offer or don't. It's your Jeep. But, it's everyone else's lives. The newest civilian CJ is 22 years old. Most have frame problems that were never addressed by the previous owners.

You will NEVER, EVER find anyone that will tell you to begin a build with a rotten frame. Even those that have done it will tell you to build/buy a new frame.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Got to be a CJ-5...

I ended up cutting the entire back half of my 5 off and rebuilding it. I used smaller rectangular tube and slid it into the exsisting front half, then started there and worked my way back. I still need to make a cross-member...

but if your going to try to repair whats already broken you should do a VERY close inspection of the rest of the frame and decide if it's worth trying to save.

many many many CJ frames have rusted from the inside out near the spring mounts,mostly on CJ-5's.

edit: looked a little closer and I noticed that you have the channel style rails instead of the boxed/2 channels welded together style...your not going to like your inspection I fear as these are lousy to start with.
There are a few companies that sell entire frames that are a direct bolt up...or gets bolted to..factory whatever...anyway there are plenty of places to get a entire frame, I know a guy who was selling a pair of mandrel bent frame rails for a Cj-5 for just a few hundred...there are options if you are trying to keep it "somewhat" a CJ.

·
Registered
113 Posts
nice welds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts