Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been forever since I have visited these parts, but decided to come back and see what has been going on. Still looks like a few of the original guys from back in the day are still around. Pretty cool to say the least. Not that a lot of you guys might care, but I figured I would post up a few pics of my rig since it has been so long. Enjoy.

What it used to look like:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And what it looks like now:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And then a extra bonus pic of my dad's fully restored 1978 FJ40 that has just over 28,000 original miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hey Thomas:

Welcome back! Your rig is looking :smokin: I dig the blue/grey color combo. Your Dad's '78 is rockin' too.

Andy

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Hey Thomas:

Welcome back! Your rig is looking :smokin: I dig the blue/grey color combo. Your Dad's '78 is rockin' too.

Andy
x2....come on back and enjoy the board! Good to see your rigs...awesome.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andy and Nolen. Life the last couple of years has been a blur, but it feels good to be back to visiting the old stomping grounds. My rig has taken a long time to get her to this point, but I am really happy of how she has turned out. Just need to figure out how to fund the next couple of additions to her. I will have to post some pics of the dash and interior. I added some pretty cool personal touches that stick to nostalgic Landcruiser lore.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both 40's look awesome, what are the specs on yours?

Well, it started off as a '76 FJ40, but as with most rigs, very little of that part of her remains. The rear of the frame was cut off just behind the seats along with the body. Then a custom tube frame, partial body, and cage was built and all tied into one. Then the front frame rails were cut off because of some cancer and hack job welding, and new tube section was built that ties into the shock hoops and radiator hoop/stinger. The front is a three link with track bar held up by some 2.5" Fox air shocks. The rear is a double triangulated four link with that is held up by some coil over coils and controlled with a set of Bilstein 5150 shocks. Under the hood, a '77 4 bolt main 350 resides. This has a mild build on it with a RV cam and flat top pistons. To feed the 350, I put a TBI unit out of 91 Chevy truck on it. Behind the 350 is a TH350 that has an upgraded first gear in it. Behind that is a built Dana 300 (4:1 kit, heavy duty rear output, and rotation ring) with a twin stick. The Dana 300 is clocked flat for an almost completely flat belly. I completely rewired the rig with a custom kit from Centech (still need to finish some odds and ends with this), and I put all new Autometer Cobalt LED gauges in it.
TO steer her, I am using an Toyoda truck box that is drilled and tapped for power assist. There is a 1.5" x 8" ram mounted to offer the power assist. The rear axle is offset Dana 60 from a J4000 truck. It has been upgraded with disk brakes, and a lockright for right now. Soon in the future, I will be drilling out the spindles, and putting 35 spline shafts in her with a full spool. The front axle is a Dana 44 out of a J10 truck with J20 outers. It has an Eaton E-locker, full chromoly shafts, and CTM u-joints. I have a Dana 60 sitting in the garage ready to be built, but unfortunately I don't have the funds to do what I want to it.
I am sure there is a lot more that I am forgetting, but that will at least get you started on a list.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is another pic of her running the Carnage Canyon trail up at Buena Vista, Colorado.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a good side shot of her:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another rear shot of her running Left Hand Canyon (when it was still open) near Boulder, CO.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I was surprised how much of a difference having the dovetail made on the trail. Especially since I can see the tires under the body panels. It makes it really easy when you are negotiating the trails.

One of coolest things we added to her (at least in mind) was the that tailgate is just one side of a set of half doors. The hinges are welded to the tube on the other side and it actually opens and closes with the original latch.

I loved running Carnage. Such a great trail. I really hope I can make it back up there again this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts