Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm not entirely sure what kind of rig I want to build up. I have no brand preference, and I'm thinking I want to do something fullsize (so it comes with straight axels stock), and just mod it enough that I can have fun doing light to medium trails and deep mud with it.

Basically, I want to keep the budget between $2k and $3k, because I'm not going to need/want the thing after this summer is over.

I know this part might sound stupid, because normally I could just get a cheap low displacement motor and gear it really high, but I'd like to get a nice big displacement motor, because all my life I have had to deal with low displacement and low power motors.

I'm thinking an older F150 or Chevy 1500 would be good, but I'm also looking at older Broncos and non-s10 model Blazers/Jimmies. I'm not totally decided between carbeurated or fuel injected at this point either. Carbeurated cars obviously will be older and cheaper, but fuel injection means I don't have to worry about tuning some touchy quadrajet, losing fuel pressure on a not-too-steep upgrade, or rebuilding my carb when I retard timing too much and blow a fireball through the carb.

I'd like to keep whatever mods I do cheap and relatively few. I'm thinking I'd lift whatever I get a few inches, stick on some nice biggish tires (between 30" and 40"), do some basic weight reduction, and build the engine just a little bit.

How does any of that sound? Can I buy any car stock and not have to spend serious money on axel and suspension upgrades?
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,718 Posts
Spazntwich said:
Right now, I'm not entirely sure what kind of rig I want to build up. I have no brand preference, and I'm thinking I want to do something fullsize (so it comes with straight axels stock), and just mod it enough that I can have fun doing light to medium trails and deep mud with it.

Basically, I want to keep the budget between $2k and $3k, because I'm not going to need/want the thing after this summer is over.

I know this part might sound stupid, because normally I could just get a cheap low displacement motor and gear it really high, but I'd like to get a nice big displacement motor, because all my life I have had to deal with low displacement and low power motors.

I'm thinking an older F150 or Chevy 1500 would be good, but I'm also looking at older Broncos and non-s10 model Blazers/Jimmies. I'm not totally decided between carbeurated or fuel injected at this point either. Carbeurated cars obviously will be older and cheaper, but fuel injection means I don't have to worry about tuning some touchy quadrajet, losing fuel pressure on a not-too-steep upgrade, or rebuilding my carb when I retard timing too much and blow a fireball through the carb.

I'd like to keep whatever mods I do cheap and relatively few. I'm thinking I'd lift whatever I get a few inches, stick on some nice biggish tires (between 30" and 40"), do some basic weight reduction, and build the engine just a little bit.

How does any of that sound? Can I buy any car stock and not have to spend serious money on axel and suspension upgrades?
no way in hell you are going to buy and build somehting for under $3k in the next 5 months.. just wont happen..... now...... under $3k in the next 5 years is dooable.... its all about waiting for the deals to come up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: So I'm starting plans for a 4wd rig.

sceep said:


no way in hell you are going to buy and build somehting for under $3k in the next 5 months.. just wont happen..... now...... under $3k in the next 5 years is dooable.... its all about waiting for the deals to come up..
What if I were to find an early 80s Bronco or something that was already built for wheeling.

I've seen a few in the local classifieds lately. Already lifted, big tires, running well, and costing all of $2k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Buy a used already built, or mostly built rig. That is the best way to go to save money, because you don't have to spend the money on new parts, or to have them installed if you can't do it yourself.

Look closely at the vehicle though, so you don't get stuck with a mess!

Just my opinion.
Dean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,362 Posts
Spazntwich said:


stick on some nice biggish tires (between 30" and 40"),

BIG fawkin difference in a 30 and a 40 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:


spend some time in the "SEARCH" for gawd sakes all your prayers will be answered ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: So I'm starting plans for a 4wd rig.

StupidTrooper said:

BIG fawkin difference in a 30 and a 40 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you had any understanding of context, you might realize tire size is simply not the most important part of all of this. I can work with tires later. I need to get down technical stuff right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
Are you serious? This is the second thread you've started that is likely to get you flamed on this site. The sarcasm in the first was pretty obvious. This one almost borders on flame bait. :flipoff2:

Sounds like you want a thrasher vehcile for cheap. Grape Ape gave you the best advice you could ask for on this topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rkcrawl said:
Are you serious? This is the second thread you've started that is likely to get you flamed on this site. The sarcasm in the first was pretty obvious. This one almost borders on flame bait. :flipoff2:

Sounds like you want a thrasher vehcile for cheap. Grape Ape gave you the best advice you could ask for on this topic.
Haha. That other thread was a joke, yes, but this one is absolutely serious. I just don't know where to start if I want to do this for cheap.

I'm not even sure why this post would get me flamed... could you do a short explanation for me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,404 Posts
Look, you're getting WAY better treatment than most newbies, so don't start getting frustrated. There IS a huge difference between running 30" tires and 40" tires, and the tech stuff is completely different.

I would be *very* careful about a $2,000 truck that is already modified and called "a great runner"; from personal experience, very few of these turn out to be as good as the ad sounds.

And Sceep is right, you *could* theoretically build a truck for that kind of money, but not in your time frame. If you sit and wait and spend your money carefully on good deals, accumulate parts, then put them together, you might be able to do it. I think it's still pushing it, but then again, I'mnot into mud and don't know much about the technical requirements.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,938 Posts
Now this is some SERIOUS discussion. I love this place :flipoff2:

This post is a joke and just going to end up in chit chat right :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60seriesguy said:
Look, you're getting WAY better treatment than most newbies, so don't start getting frustrated. There IS a huge difference between running 30" tires and 40" tires, and the tech stuff is completely different.

I would be *very* careful about a $2,000 truck that is already modified and called "a great runner"; from personal experience, very few of these turn out to be as good as the ad sounds.

And Sceep is right, you *could* theoretically build a truck for that kind of money, but not in your time frame. If you sit and wait and spend your money carefully on good deals, accumulate parts, then put them together, you might be able to do it. I think it's still pushing it, but then again, I'mnot into mud and don't know much about the technical requirements.
Don't worry about me getting frustrated. I take it you missed my stupid thread yesterday. I was getting flamed pretty constantly, and the only people who seemed to get frustrated were the people trying to insult me.

About the budget: I know I've set a really low ceiling. I'm sure my budget will be flexible, I just don't know by how much until I find out where I'm working this summer, if relatives are giving me money for graduation, etc.

I realize tire size makes a huge difference too. I'm just saying I can think about tire issues once I actually have a truck to lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bigdude said:
Now this is some SERIOUS discussion. I love this place :flipoff2:

This post is a joke and just going to end up in chit chat right :D
Apparently, I did something wrong in this thread. Why does it look like a joke? :confused:

Is it just a "boy who cried wolf" situation, or does something related to this thread besides the fact that it is I who wrote it make the thing look like a joke?

Sorry if it's a n00b question. If it is, well, that's because I don't know enough about 4 wheeling yet. The best way to learn is asking questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,212 Posts
Spazntwich said:



Sorry if it's a n00b question. If it is, well, that's because I don't know enough about 4 wheeling yet. The best way to learn is asking questions.

.................but not here..................:D














dum fawk..........:rolleyes:











:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,718 Posts
Spazntwich said:


Apparently, I did something wrong in this thread. Why does it look like a joke? :confused:
apperently you dont understand what this site is about.


taken from the jeep mission statement cuz i couldnt find it in gen4x......

81. This should be considered college level for wheeling Jeeps, so don't post kindergarden level topics.
that right there is why you are getting flamed. You arent going to build a college level rig on that budget. You're not. Plain and simple.

now. This rule has been being bent ALOT lately with the massive influx of newbies as our sport is becoming more and more popular.
Thats cool.. change happens. But dont expect to be treated the same here as the rest of the poeple who hve dumped tens of thousands into their rigs.

I dont know what kind of BS you were playin around with yesterday as im not here on the weekends, but. a $3k SAFE reliable, dependable, capable rig is just unobtainable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sceep said:
This rule has been being bent ALOT lately with the massive influx of newbies as our sport is becoming more and more popular.
Thats cool.. change happens. But dont expect to be treated the same here as the rest of the poeple who hve dumped tens of thousands into their rigs.

I dont know what kind of BS you were playin around with yesterday as im not here on the weekends, but. a $3k SAFE reliable, dependable, capable rig is just unobtainable.
Actually, thanks for explaining things. You've opened my eyes, one could say. It's apparent you all don't want new people at all involved, and as entertaining and cool as some people seem to be, I guess the assholes (You're not one of them) outnumber the intelligent individuals.

Forget I even asked anything. If it takes 10s of thousands of dollars to have something worth driving off-road, I really don't want any part of it.

I'm out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
If Jesse can do it then it can be done...no offense to the ford guys but build a short box chevy...nice engine and cheap upgrades...try to find a 1 ton and then swap in springs and warm up the sawzall....slap on the tires of your choice and rev it up...it ain't all that difficult to do but to be reliable stay away from checvy 10's and 12's with that heavy of a rig....I figure 1800-2000 for a old 1 ton with a 454 and then hit the yards to get a 205 transfer case and some half ton springs...swap in and get going....now learn how to search as this can be found.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
to me, if you want a cheaper rig you can beat the stink of out of, your talking 85 yota, efi and straight axle already there, re-gear, weld the rear, short lift, cut the fenders, throw 35's on it, and wheel it like you hate it, at least that seems logical to me......
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,718 Posts
mjs408 said:
to me, if you want a cheaper rig you can beat the stink of out of, your talking 85 yota, efi and straight axle already there, re-gear, weld the rear, short lift, cut the fenders through 35's on it, and wheel it like you hate it, at least that seems logical to me......
that right there is the optimum recipie for a budget rig!!!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
For what you want, a 70's 1 ton chevy pickup with a 454. Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. Throw on springs and shocks, weld the rear spiders, cut the fenders and stuff some 42s under it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,195 Posts
zags said:
For what you want, a 70's 1 ton chevy pickup with a 454. Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. Throw on springs and shocks, weld the rear spiders, cut the fenders and stuff some 42s under it.
This is a good combo, if you can find a 1 ton chevy for under 3k... its hard to do. I went the 85 toyota route. Dont regret it one bit. I love that truck. But the ultimate of all cheap is a samuari. You can find running and driving ones for $500, or that need minor work. Do a spring over axle, slap on some 33", weld the rear, and get some crawler gears. I am sure with that you will be under 3k, and have a very capiable rig. Really just depends on what you want to do with it through.

Garrett
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top