Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...from copes.

And I'm a little disappointed in the condition.

But, never having ordered a parts kit before i dunno what to expect.

It was a hand select kit.

varnish on the furniture is flaky but overall condition doesn;t look to bad, no major dents dings.

Hardware on the stock is fairly rusty, to the point that the little trap door in the butt would BARELY open with full thumb force, and will not spring back closed.

Barell is fairly dirty, but doesnt look pitted or rusty.

didnt have much of a chance to look it over more than that, but what say ye?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no pics yet. have to borrow a camera.

plans are a simple, no frills AK build, so i can go plinking in the desert.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not planning on swaping anything other than the compliance parts.

gonna de-varnish the furniture this weekend, sand, and re-stain.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Talk to them. The owner, who's name I have forgotten was very reasonable when I had an issue with one of the kits his company sent. He issued a ups return sheet and I sent it right back.

Once he confirmed my issue he sent a new kit that was just right. He has warehouse monkees that do all the selection. You might have gotten a monday morning selection.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talk to them. The owner, who's name I have forgotten was very reasonable when I had an issue with one of the kits his company sent. He issued a ups return sheet and I sent it right back.

Once he confirmed my issue he sent a new kit that was just right. He has warehouse monkees that do all the selection. You might have gotten a monday morning selection.
i'll try and take some pictures tonight and post em. like i said, i dunno what to expect as this was my first one. My expectations may have been higher than they should have.

i'm going to re-finish all the furniture no matter the condition, so its more the rust than anything i guess.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
rust does not = "hand select" end of fucking story.
call them ASAP

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rust does not = "hand select" end of fucking story.
call them ASAP
10-4..

damnit.. i wanted to work on this thing this weekend.

:(

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
But then again we are getting towards the bottom of the pile for romy kits. :( Maybe this is hand select.
i'll steal my dads cam tonight and try and get some pics up. not like i can ship it back before tuesday anyway...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
i'll try and take some pictures tonight and post em. like i said, i dunno what to expect as this was my first one. My expectations may have been higher than they should have.

i'm going to re-finish all the furniture no matter the condition, so its more the rust than anything i guess.
PB Blaster freed up nearly everything on mine, but a lot of stuff had to be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled, in order to work right. I didn't care about the stock or foregrip (ick, wood) but I took it all apart and saved the wood "just in case" anyway.

Since I like taking stuff apart, it was no big deal to me; I spent a few minutes here, a few there, etc., spritzing PB, driving pins out, removing stuff, wire-brushing threads, grinding rivets... it was something interesting to do while slacking at work.

Ultimately, you and I could be talking about the same condition of stuff, me thinking "eh, whatever, it's a 20-year-old AK" and you thinking "this is handselect?"... get on borrowing that camera and show us. :)

By the way, does anybody have (or have a picture of) whatever is supposed to live inside that odd little trapdoor with the coilspring behind it, up inside the buttstock?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
By the way, does anybody have (or have a picture of) whatever is supposed to live inside that odd little trapdoor with the coilspring behind it, up inside the buttstock?
cleaning kit, looks like a suppository

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I ordered a hand select kit from copes and the one I received had very obviously never been shot before. The barrel was still stuffed full of wax paper and the metal finish was perfect. The wood looks like ass but I hear that happens over time in storage. Call em back and get a new kit if you care that much, or get a partial refund for the hand select fee.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
None of my kits have ever been close to perfect, but nowhere near as bad as you describe. I've picked up kits from armsofamerica.com and jgsales.com - and they all look about the same - definitely stock wear - but seem to have very low round count. Definitely NO rust - and definitely easy to clean up and work with.

Let us know what Copes says - that just doesn't sound right.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok after a more thourogh inspection, I'm happy(er).

everything looks ok, with the exception of the little trap-door spring. it was soo rusty it broke into a bunch of pieces when i opened the trap door.

everything else looks good. Have the furniture stripped and reaady for stain. just ordered my 100% OOW reciever and a screw kit.
:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts