Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to the point of fitting the perches to the axle housing on my front axle. I bought the Mopar perches from the part numbers on Woody' web site, (thanks again for the short cuts)
Anyway, the holes in the tops of the perches are MUCH larger than the new spring pins that I have installed from SOR. Should I weld in a washer type bushing in the perch to hold fast to the pin?/OR will it be OK under the properly torqued U bolts?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I WOULDNT SWEAT IT. I USED GRADE 5 BOLTS TO REPLACE MY OLD PINS AND THE HEADS FIT NICELY, AND PROBOLY ALOT CHEAP THAT SOR

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
grade 8 bolts...just make sure that the bolt head is the same size as the spring perch hole....

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have welded washers on the bottom of those Mopar perches to make the hole smaller. Then I fill in the low area from the top (soa top) grind flat, and re-drill the hole. This strengthens the area around the pin. (I think the Mopar perches are too thin anyway)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When I had some U-bolts made the guys at the spring shop threw in spring pins for free. They had bushings that made the spring pin heads fit the mopar hole.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips! I bought new bolts at Fleet Farm, Grade 8. but as well I am going to have U bolts bent at a local spring shop. Which is just 20 minutes away............WTF that NEVER HAPPENS here in Sheboygan Co WI!
I'll as well check there for bushings and make a decision as to what I'll do.
Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts