Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I didn't hear about fuel pump issues like I did last year.

What kind of fuel system are you running that worked this year? Specifically those of you running LS motors?

I ran an IZZY approved and Not Camo approved system. Boy Howdy is still pumping along just fine.

1/2" feed line from the bottom of the tank to a 100 micron Areomotive prefilter with an a1000 pump thru a check valve to a 10 micron post filter.

There is a Y on the feed that feeds a back up 100 micron summit filter to a summit pump (yes the one I don't care for but hey they warranteed it) thru a check valve to a Y before the 10 micron post filter.

We did switch between pumps a couple times when the intake elbow would work its way out of the hose clamp and disconnect the mass air sensor. both pumps make 60 PSI so no change it never was a pump issue.

wayne

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I smoked an A1000. I have no clue why it was brand new, and I couldnt get out on the radio to get the spare to the BFG pit so it eventually took me outta the race around RM 98. Aeromotive got an earfull!:shaking::mad3:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I smoked an A1000. I have no clue why it was brand new, and I couldnt get out on the radio to get the spare to the BFG pit so it eventually took me outta the race around RM 98. Aeromotive got an earfull!:shaking::mad3:
I haven't been hearing good things about the A1000 lately, anyone else have problems with them? The pump I lost was a bosch 044 pump and the aeromotive got me home.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Describe your system if you will.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I haven't been hearing good things about the A1000 lately, anyone else have problems with them? The pump I lost was a bosch 044 pump and the aeromotive got me home.
I have not heard anything bad other then most of us are over working the pump due to small delivery and return lines. The Bosch 044 is also a great pump I have only heard good things about that one.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
lots of trucks were having issues with the foam in the tanks plugging them up
so moral of the story ditch the foam and put in wiffle balls

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I will say this, I heard a lot cars that sounded like they were out of tune and absolutely running like shit. No specifically during the race, but pre-running and lcq.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so judging by the few responses so far, there still isn't a black and white pump solution.

as was mentioned above, is this because supply and return lines are not being adequately sized? or are there other factors (there's obviously always other factors, but things like running pumps dry, overheating of pumps, dirty fuel/lack of proper filtration, etc)?

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
I ran an IZZY approved and Not Camo approved system.
if your system worked then it is certainly "camo" approved :smokin:

but I still got a good laugh from the label on your cell :laughing:

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
if your system worked then it is certainly 'camo: approved :smokin:

but I still got a good laugh from the label on your cell :laughing:
Thats why we put it there.:D Now I gotta go change the label on my cell, anybody got a sharpie?

I contend there is not a black and white right and wrong way. You need to do whatever it takes to be sure the a high preasure pump does not run dry, cavitate or lift. There are 100 ways to do it. You need to prefilter with a 100 micron or so prefilter to allow good flow to the inlet side of the pump, this pretects the pump internals, too fine or a clogged prefilter will cause cavitation. You need to be sure your inlet and preasure lines are the right size so it does not over work your pump.( my system is mathmaticly OK here but would be better with bigger preasure and return lines). You need to post filter at about 10 microns to protect your injectors. Vane style pumps push well but don't pull very well keep your feed line large dia and as short as possible. Keep everythng as cool as you can and after a lot of reaserch I also contend that if the temps get hot like summer desert racing Race gas will help keep the fuel from vapor seperation or cavitation.

My $.02 there are 100 ways to get there.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
wayne nailed it.

cavitation kills pumps. if you kill a pump then 99% chance you have a cavitation issue.

while pump selection is certainly important. every single aspect of the fuel system is equally important. from routing, supply, filter, fittings all of it. just saying a pump is junk because it failed is ignoring the issue. something caused the pump to fail and it is typically cavitation.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
lots of trucks were having issues with the foam in the tanks plugging them up
so moral of the story ditch the foam and put in wiffle balls

yep, brand new foam took me out in the LCQ. Not even a hint of failure during pre-running though :mad3:

·
Registered
923 Posts
#49 the Nevada Union High School buggy lost 4 pumps during the race. Once we got home, we found a crack in the pickup tube fitting. Like Camo said, no fuel pump will last if ran with out good fuel flow to it. Problem was resolved by installing a bulkhead fitting in bottom of tank and plumbing Holly blue off of pickup to fuel accumulator. I know that pickup will not be as good as our Walbro's but I am thinking the accumulator will help with running crazy angles. Just hope the Holly can take the abuse. Hope this fixes our fuel issues. Time will tell. We have a bunch of pre-running to do before next years race. LOL

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
What do you think my issue was camo? I run essentially the identical syestem you run on your car. No foam in my tank and 4 walbro pickups and I filled the tank at rm 39 I think? and rm 55 and it started to crap ou after getting to the bottom of outer limits. The pump was making so much noise that we could hear it thru the helmets and over the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my fuel system still seem's to be in good condition, no failure issues to date. both pump's work great, and both filter's were clear and good before Parker. well over 1k miles on this fuel system now.

the A1K is still clicking along fine :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts