Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Cali, this Kansas City guy, and i can honestly say....what a waste of $4.00 gas. I have to say i loved the camping and scenery, but colorado is much closer and a hell of a lot more challenging and just as scenic, hell maybe more (much less dust since every stock jeep in the region isnt found on their "10" level trails...
I think i was most disappointed when i saw piles of crushed granite that was destined for the continued effort to gravel/surface the trail. It very much appeared that they were catering to stockers that are found on and around the jamboree???

Anyway, very sad to say, but I'll not do that one again...

Signed,
Disappointed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just got back from Cali, this Kansas City guy, and i can honestly say....what a waste of $4.00 gas. I have to say i loved the camping and scenery, but colorado is much closer and a hell of a lot more challenging and just as scenic, hell maybe more (much less dust since every stock jeep in the region isnt found on their "10" level trails...
I think i was most disappointed when i saw piles of crushed granite that was destined for the continued effort to gravel/surface the trail. It very much appeared that they were catering to stockers that are found on and around the jamboree???

Signed,
Disappointed.
I hear you, but sadly it is out of our control now. I have been running the trail every July since 2004. It was way harder back then and many spots are now closed off or full of smaller rocks. Old sluice is still hard and they still have soup box. What they did to Little sluice is really lame for sure. The great thing is that we can still go there and it is still open. I still love the scenery and the great time spent with family and friends. It is still Ana amazing place to camp and wheel but not really the hardcore test it was ten years ago. People making the trail easy are not jeepers, they are people with a political agenda.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts

Signed,
Disappointed.
Firstly let me say I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip to the Rubicon, that is in and of itself hard to listen to. With that said I have to wonder to what level you understand the changes surrounding the trail? It would appear on the surface at least that you may have little to no knowledge of the events that led to these changes.

We are coming up on a very pivotal meeting wherein the Water Board maybe lifting the CAO which is what caused all of the work to happen, up to and including the Bridge at Ellis Creek. There has been countless hours spent by the county, volunteers and many others that have resulted in this "Crown Jewel" of a trail remaining open. I have no doubt in my mind that with out this unmatched involvement the Rubicon Trail would more than likely be closed.

With that said I will agree that the trail is not in the same condition it was 5 years ago but then again it's not the same as it was 100 years ago. As a frequent trail user I can honestly say that the trail is returning to a harder condition than it was three years ago when the work originally started. The important part here is that the trail has to meet certain conditions and completion of work for the CAO to be lifted. We all fought the changes and disagreed with them but ultimately the condition of the trail is this........."Open Year Round" I like that option better than the other.

More disappointing to me than your displeasure with your trip is the fact that as an offroader you appear to be some what disconnected with current events surrounding probably one of the more Famous trails out there. I suppose one could suggest that I would be somewhat out of the Loop on the current status of the trails in Kansas but then again I can't name one (Point Here) and even if I could I certainly wouldn't get on a forum and start a rant about how bad they are without doing a little reading first.

Sorry if this comes across a little harsh but I cannot express to you the amount of time, passion, and love, myself and countless others have put into making sure this trail is open for you and all generations to come to use!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
This is what happens when you don't pay attention. This has been going on for over 10 years. Been debated here in this forum ad nauseum. Might help to get your head out of the sand before critique

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
This is what happens when you don't pay attention. This has been going on for over 10 years. Been debated here in this forum ad nauseum. Might help to get your head out of the sand before critique

Where's the freaking "Like" button I need a "Like" Button :p

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Firstly let me say I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip to the Rubicon, that is in and of itself hard to listen to. With that said I have to wonder to what level you understand the changes surrounding the trail? It would appear on the surface at least that you may have little to no knowledge of the events that led to these changes.

We are coming up on a very pivotal meeting wherein the Water Board maybe lifting the CAO which is what caused all of the work to happen, up to and including the Bridge at Ellis Creek. There has been countless hours spent by the county, volunteers and many others that have resulted in this "Crown Jewel" of a trail remaining open. I have no doubt in my mind that with out this unmatched involvement the Rubicon Trail would more than likely be closed.

With that said I will agree that the trail is not in the same condition it was 5 years ago but then again it's not the same as it was 100 years ago. As a frequent trail user I can honestly say that the trail is returning to a harder condition than it was three years ago when the work originally started. The important part here is that the trail has to meet certain conditions and completion of work for the CAO to be lifted. We all fought the changes and disagreed with them but ultimately the condition of the trail is this........."Open Year Round" I like that option better than the other.

More disappointing to me than your displeasure with your trip is the fact that as an offroader you appear to be some what disconnected with current events surrounding probably one of the more Famous trails out there. I suppose one could suggest that I would be somewhat out of the Loop on the current status of the trails in Kansas but then again I can't name one (Point Here) and even if I could I certainly wouldn't get on a forum and start a rant about how bad they are without doing a little reading first.

Sorry if this comes across a little harsh but I cannot express to you the amount of time, passion, and love, myself and countless others have put into making sure this trail is open for you and all generations to come to use!

The Rubicon would not be "world famous" if it was not as hard as it was 10-20 years ago. It became a destination, one with a challenge. I'm semi local but the scenery alone is no longer worth the drive for me. I have not been back to the rubicon since they leveled little sluice. My last time on the trail, the work had been done up to little sluice and I had a nice 20 minute trip back to my camp site at loon lake.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
The Rubicon would not be "world famous" if it was not as hard as it was 10-20 years ago.
While this may be true I would suggest to you that maybe there were other reasons for folks interest in the Rubicon long before we were arguing about what size rocks belong on the trail. Just saying ;)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
We made it from Rubicon Springs to Loon In less than 1:20min on Saturday following the Marlin BBQ. It was fun and it was in a go fast buggy!!!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The Rubicon would not be "world famous" if it was not as hard as it was 10-20 years ago. It became a destination, one with a challenge. I'm semi local but the scenery alone is no longer worth the drive for me. I have not been back to the rubicon since they leveled little sluice. My last time on the trail, the work had been done up to little sluice and I had a nice 20 minute trip back to my camp site at loon lake.
16 years ago i was doing it in a 2” lifted flat fender with a rear power lok limited slip and 31’s

14 years ago even 12 years ago i was on 33’s in a cj5 with a 3” lift stock axles and a front and rear plok limited slip whats your point. your expectations were either inflated by hype and magazines or you’re looking for the wrong entertainment from the wrong place.

much like fordyce these trails aren’t helldorado they are tough and offer great camping lakes and experiences.... long but not a theme park. can only hope fordyce doesn’t attract the same trail widening acts, white flowers and destruction to draw a bunch of attention its way.

I don’t like what happened to the trail but the work will erode and evolve and the trail will rebound in difficulty over time much like it devolved from model t’s traveling it to jeeps and 4x4’s being necessary time changes everything but time is not frozen

·
flamethrower
12,604 Posts
Guys, it's OK if he's disappointed. We don't have to try convince him there's other stuff there to like.

He either appreciates the WHOLE experience or he doesn't.

So what....it's America, freedom of speech is an important part of being an American.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

Sorry, I had to...

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
When i first ran the trail in 82 it was much easier than it is today, the equipment we had made it harder. The difficulty of the trail 10-20 years ago was result of natural erosion and manmade "adjustments". Continuing on that path would have been a disaster.
The rubicon was "world famous" way before 10-20 years ago.. ..i go there because its still Rubicon no matter how big the rocks are.
Its too bad kansas didnt plan a little better he could have hit the con and fordyce, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The bigger problem is everyone over building their rigs to make the trail easier. I've seen a lot of friends build to the point that 4 wheeling isn't even fun for them anymore. I've taken a different approach. I build myself. When it gets to the point that my SKILLS make the trail easy. Then I'll buy myself a stock yota and enjoy the challenge once again.

The jedi did not become a skilled swordsmen by making his sword bigger.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Damn, I really,really need to drive this sucker.

Pretty sad when I own a jeep that has driven the trail multiple times (P.O) and my truck has been to the Loon trail head but no further.

(Sigh) Some Day

I for one garauntee I will not be dissapointed.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I've taken a different approach. I build myself. When it gets to the point that my SKILLS make the trail easy. Then I'll buy myself a stock yota and enjoy the challenge once again.

These guys agree with you! I love the line about the Jedi :grinpimp:. I can honestly say some of the most fun I have had over the past couple of years has been driving and watching my boys drive this thing around. :D

·
Registered
789 Posts
The bigger problem is everyone over building their rigs to make the trail easier. I've seen a lot of friends build to the point that 4 wheeling isn't even fun for them anymore. I've taken a different approach. I build myself. When it gets to the point that my SKILLS make the trail easy. Then I'll buy myself a stock yota and enjoy the challenge once again.

X2^

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
When i first ran the trail in 82 it was much easier than it is today, the equipment we had made it harder. The difficulty of the trail 10-20 years ago was result of natural erosion and manmade "adjustments". Continuing on that path would have been a disaster.
The rubicon was "world famous" way before 10-20 years ago.. ..i go there because its still Rubicon no matter how big the rocks are.
Its too bad kansas didnt plan a little better he could have hit the con and fordyce, best of both worlds.
We were on fordyce last weekend with a group that came up last year to run the rubicon. They were amazed at the difference, given the rubicon "reputation." Harder, easier, trails change all of the time and on every trail. Not a single trail that I've ever wheeled is just as it was when I first ran it. I am just hoping that the other places that I like to go can use the rubicon as an example of addressing problems before they become too big to find a middle ground. I realize that the rubicon became political and that forced a lot of hands, but we (off-roaders) should be on the same plane.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts