Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why no chains on the rigs when you know, for sure, that you are going to be running in the snow and ice?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
because in deep snow 2~4 psi big footprints work....and chains don't.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Chains are for 2wd vehicle :p :D :D
Much more fun without chains.
Nothing spoils a trip, like having to put chains on.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
In DEEP snow your only hope is to float, have big tires / air down to get a big footprint so the snow compresses under the tire and gets firm enough to hold the truck up (sinking down into the snow is bad mmmkay.) The idea with chains is to cut through the snow and get you in contact with the pavement below, wich works on roads with a few inches. If your tires are agressively digging down to the ground and you've got a few feet of settled snow in front of you, you aint just gonna plow through it, snow gets quite hard as it gets packed!

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
The only thing chains are good for is ice....

The bigger the tire the better, and I don't think you can be light enough. It also helps to be slightly front heavy so the rear tires just float on your front tracks. Really low gearing is the bomb too.....

The pros....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Mieser said:
The only thing chains are good for is ice....

The bigger the tire the better, and I don't think you can be light enough. It also helps to be slightly front heavy so the rear tires just float on your front tracks. Really low gearing is the bomb too.....

I'd have to argue on the weight distribution thing, I would want the havier end riding on the more packed snow... A tire is more likely to sink in soft snow than packed snow, so I would want the front end to be lightest for "breaking the trail" and making a firmed up path for the heavier back end. ...but unless we're talking buggies good luck getting the front end of a rig lighter than the rear *shrugs*

Mild tread does seem to be the way to go, you don't see the iceland guys running boggers or swampers!

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Mieser said:
Isn't that the Icelandic guys who did the cross-Antarctic trip with the modified Land Cruisers? Those guys ARE pros, badass! I looked at the site to see if it was, and I can't tell what the fawk is going on in that language!

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Moondog,

I've tried both front and rear bias rigs. Trust me when I say the front heavy ones do MUCH better. With the rear tires trying to create a MORE packed down surface they are trying to climb little mountains in front of all 4 tires instead of just the front two tires. When I had vehicles that ended up rear heavy I always found myself sinking the rear end to more especially when trying to go uphill than my front heavy friends in there toyotas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts