Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Read the thread...it answers your question... I'm going to have to side with the rest of the guys calling BS on him...

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Seems like the accu wedge to me, a solution looking for a problem. I don't see the harm in staking, binding, or whatever to the ket screws, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it if I had an AR with unstaked,keyed, whatevered key screws. JMO

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Is this worth worrying about when building one, or is this guy just looking for something to worry about?
I'm definitely no armorer, but the two images below look like there's a potential that a sufficient shear/torsion action would allow these allen heads to break free. Before someone starts pinging away....I would think one would have to know exactly how much force these allen bolts could exert on the surrounding surfaces.

I would think something like this would be better than the ^ toolmarks?

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
#2 looks like it might be a little light, however all you are doing is trying to prevent the screw from unscrewing. I have been working on M16s and ARs for 23 years. Some of these rifles were Vietnam era and I have only seen a couple of keys come loose when the staking was too light.
That last photo is excessive overkill to say the least.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
#2 looks like it might be a little light, however all you are doing is trying to prevent the screw from unscrewing. I have been working on M16s and ARs for 23 years. Some of these rifles were Vietnam era and I have only seen a couple of keys come loose when the staking was too light.
You mean I can get rid of the safety wire that stays the castle nut on my stock too?

:laughing::laughing:

While not on GT, I like how a few members on ARF posting the need for some $30 donut/delta ring removal tool.

hmmm....

those ends sort of resemble a pair of rubber/plastic handles found on a pair of Channel Locs don't they.....but oh noes!!1 you better use the tool designed for just such a removal.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
I am gonna break out the flux-core, they wont move any more :D

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
#2 looks like it might be a little light, however all you are doing is trying to prevent the screw from unscrewing.
To which I was going to say, may as well fucking weld it togher at that point.

I am gonna break out the flux-core, they wont move any more :D
Then you'll need the $150 treatment to "fix" your bolt because you're caused a tempering issue. :flipoff2: Some people LOOK for shit to bitch and or be worried about.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
To which I was going to say, may as well fucking weld it togher at that point.

Then you'll need the $150 treatment to "fix" your bolt because you're caused a tempering issue. :flipoff2: Some people LOOK for shit to bitch and or be worried about.
They I will oil quench it using a blow torch and then anneal it in the oven burried in sand :lmao:

Like I do with other shit I need to temper :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thought so. :D

Mainly, I posted this because I was looking forward to the replies I was going to get... ;)

I was just enjoying how much he loves his unobtanium staking tool from ReachAround Enterprises. Okay, I'll probably make sure to stake it when I build one, but a hammer and puch will do the job just fine. :rolleyes:

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
I was just enjoying how much he loves his unobtanium staking tool from ReachAround Enterprises. Okay, I'll probably make sure to stake it when I build one, but a hammer and puch will do the job just fine. :rolleyes:
buy this for $3.99 and resell it as "Tactical staking tool, self actuating, black low reflection oxide finish, precision machined, ground and hardened alloy steel impact point, knurled high grip handle: $39.99" :lmao:

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I think I'm going to buy the $240 neck and throat reamer. :p I wonder why discharging 5.56 in .223 chamber would cause some "common" problems?:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
buy this for $3.99 and resell it as "Tactical staking tool, self actuating, black low reflection oxide finish, precision machined, ground and hardened alloy steel impact point, knurled high grip handle: $39.99" :lmao:
Give it a shot of Duracoat in OD or Desert Tan. Then it's worth $69.99 :flipoff2:

Aces, that's pure comedy gold right there. :D

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Can't you just JB Weld it? Duh?!?!?! :laughing:
actualy JB weld is good to 500* and I use it to secure screws i do not want to come loose :laughing:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts