Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on taking my fj62 to the dark side over summer. I know in general what parts to pick up ie. hy-steer, shocks, ect. but i'm looking for a more specific/complete list of items. Like part numbers for spring perches, traction bar ideas, shock length, best hy-steer arm, shock hoops, shock mounts, other small parts that bring it all together. I want to get it done right the first time!

Also, I plan on using OME springs/shackles. Have a full OME Heavy/Medium suspension, shocks, shackles, bushings. I also have 4.88s and ARBs to fill the differentials. Planning on running a tire of 37" hopefully on 17" rims.

Any input is appreciated.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm really debating on using the 2.5" OME springs or not. From what Henry says it might be too tall. Although I don't use the rig for hard core rockcrawling, I still take it on some slippery off camber stuff every now and then. Henry, do you think it would make a significat different to run 17" rims w/2" backspacing under the SOA OMEs? Also, you say at least 4.88s i'd rather not run 5.29s b/c of the griding/weakening. I'd like to get some gearmaster gears with the overdrive to make my 4.88s seem like 5.29s. Like I said I don't rock crawl, but I don run trails. I understand that gearing is key, but I'm not aware of any REASONABLE gearing options for my spit case/auto besides the gearmaster 3.05 drop ins. Please let me know of any other options.

Berne, how well do you think everthing will fit with the 38s and 2.5" springs? Also, what about drivetrain reliability turning those size tires? I've been looking at rear disck break options, but haven't seen anything too great. What setup are you running? The best be I can see is dropping $500 on a downey kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.