Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to build a CJ-7 from groung up and wanted some opinions-Matkins frame with a 2.5" BDS SOA lift. Should I move the hangers out on the frame or just leave them stock? Will I have to run longer shocks? If so how much longer. I have heard both ways. I'm trying to get my odds and ends bought before I buy the frame so that once it gets here I can at least get my driveline somewhat setup. Any advice is appreciated!!
Thanks for the help
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
newbie forum dude :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I was trying to be nice buddy. This has been talked about 18 million fawking times on this board. Use the search button or take the question to the newbie forum jerkoff :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey then sorry-just trying to do more research as I only want to do this once. Can you tell me where to look?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Do a search for

SOA, Outboard, BDS, etc.

You will find enough information to overload your brain. Search first ask questions second. You will learn more by searching then asking anyway......

Outboarding depends on the axle.

Longer shocks, yes if you want to take advantage of the flex you will have. (I max my 14" travel shocks with my setup)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
RCKRATZ said:
Do a search for

Longer shocks, yes if you want to take advantage of the flex you will have. (I max my 14" travel shocks with my setup)
Boss1: and don't expect these to fit on the stock mounts you probably ordered with that fancy matkins frame!

Gotta ask, have you built any rig or even wheeled much? Sounds like you are in way over your head.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have built a rig, however it was nothing extreme. I live in Illinois which is corn and beans and no rocks. That is why I'm doing my homework on this rig!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keep the springs in the stock location.

Make some shock hoops or extended mounts in order to run a longer shock.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have done several of my own jeeps plus two in the last three years that were hand built frames like the matkins you are looking at both of these jeeps use custom built front and rears with spring overs using the rubicon express s/o springs. Both the guys I built them for would always try to get a step or two ahead of me and buy parts. I sent back two sets per jeep that were to short for what they need. I would get my chassis rolling with weight in it before I started buying shocks,brake hoses,driveshafts. It will save alot of wasted time.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice, however most kits come with springs and shocks. That could be a problem. I'm going to get my driveline in my frame before I do my driveshafts. I guess if I buy a kit with shocks and springs I could check and see if they would exchange the shocks for longer ones or possibly just by the shocks seperate.

thanks and keep advice coming!

Brian

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Been there, done that ...
Listen to odee and withamc.
Yea, it's fun to pass the time shopping for the small stuff and dreaming of the future ...
but if you get too far ahead of yourself you'll be sorry.
It doesn't take very long to get parts shipped soon after you really do need them so don't fritter your money away on stuff you think you might need.
Do your homework with plenty of searches, ask pertinate questions, and take it one step at a time.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
More advice for the would-be builder ...

Start a (computer) file catalog with folders like 'engine', 'suspension', 'axels', etc.
Then, when while searching or when a related thread comes up, cut and past the info into those file sections for future reference.
When you get ready for the next phase, ignition, wiring, wheels, cages, finishing, wheels, etc., you will have your own reference book so you won't forget some of the gems of knowledge or experience from others that you've read.

Stockpiling snips of info is a lot better use of your time than stockpiling a bunch of parts you think you might need.

So quit dreaming and get to work!
I'll bet you might have body panels to sand, seat brackets to restore, dash wiring to do ... all those little things you don't think about until it's 'time' to do them.
What you'll find is that you'll wish you'd 'taken the time', when you had it, to already to already have those things done.

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
You've really got to get your major pieces FIRST. you need axles, frame, motor/tranny/tcase up front.

We've got people assuming you're using full width so they're telling you about outboarding, people dumb enough to do SOA on stock CJ width with lift springs, and people whatever. So so far, we've got go full width and don't outboard right?

ask a question, get an answer. web wheeling isn't all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes Jaffer for sure start a notebook in the shop put that notebook on the computer copy notebook into another put orginal back into shop. I have done this on the two I built for my buddies,mine and the last one I built for my buddies oldest son. It really makes things better when it breaks you know what part is from what and where it came from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts