Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2.5" Rancho Springs (44192) in the rear of my Scrambler, SOA. They only last about a year even with my anti wrap bar. With wife, 2 kids, lab, and all our gear, the springs need to hold some weight. I have 2.5" (2" wide) Rancho's SOA in front that work well.

What springs should I use in the rear to get longer life out of them? I would prefer not to move my spring mounts. Will the Rubicon Express SOA Springs be to low with the 1.5" lift? I hear talk about the Rancho 44044 Wrangler Springs. Do these require a shackle mount relocation? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
mbrink said:
I hear talk about the Rancho 44044 Wrangler Springs. Do these require a shackle mount relocation?
The 44044s do not usually require moving the mounting points, but you may need longer shackles to help with the length. The 44044s would be a good choice because the Waggoneers are a heavier vehicle and you should be able to run them with out modifications.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
You want something that will last, give Alcan a call.. They will custom make you some springs that will last decently.. but you will pay for them.
Scott

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have had great luck with BDS. I have not bent any since switching back from YJ to CJ.

And I am not even running an anti-wrap bar.

Of course, a lot of you Scrambler guys are HEAVY on the go pedal.:D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I go through 2 sets of BDS 2" springs a season. I have 7 leaf front waggy springs now, we will see how those last.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I swear, either i or my friend, have tried everything under the sun, to fix our spring problems... especially in the rear. we even made our own spring packs, from about every vehicle around. Here is what we found.
a lot of times the anti wrap bar just doesnt do enough, try putting a video camera on your tranny skid guard and watching the axle under hard acceleration and braking.. maybe the bushings allow too much movement..(go to heim joints/no bushings)
-------Things you could do(cheaply)----
-lengthen the antiwrap bar
-increase its triangulaton(if theres enough space between the axle and your fuel cell)
-add anotherantiwrap bar.. this works well.
- one friend of mine just put a "4th link" type of deal on the top of his pumpkin that mounted to a new crossmember in his frame, just behind the transfer.... i dunno if itll help wrap, but i think itll fuck up his spring flex.
--for us, The spring over axle spring plates helped, and a rancho add a leaf made a huge difference.,
---------THE ANSWER IS OUT THERE......I JUST HAVENT FOUND THE PERFECT THING----
if you dont have a huge v8 or 35"+ tires, try the last two things...
anyways good luck, and whatever works well, email me with it.
--James--

·
Registered
192 Posts
I go through a set of RE 4.5 springs a year on the front of my scrambler. I had a rear go flat and put an add a leaf in the new pack on that side and it seems to be doing a lot better this time around. I broke a break line one day, plugged the line on that side and kept on. Next day noticed the jeep leaning to the other side. Seems like any real load beyond my standard beating of my heap is more than they can take and sag every time.

if you find something that really works, post that shit up.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
jeepboyben said:
I go through 2 sets of BDS 2" springs a season. I have 7 leaf front waggy springs now, we will see how those last.
I myself bent 3 YJ springs. But that is why I recommended CJ.

I am still running YJ up front, and have yet to bend one of them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah my front ones seem to last a lot longer. Too much go pedal and bouncing I guess. The latest ones looked like a W. No biggie, I'm 4 linking the rear now with TJ coils.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advise. All things considered, I think I will try a set of BDS springs. We will see what I think of them a year from now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a dumd question: do you have bump stops in place limmiting the stuff factor? I ruined a set of springs by letting them push too far past the flat spot. Come to think of it they were Rancho's. I enjoyed the extra wheel travel but have since moved my bump stops down. (kids have gotta eat can't be buyin' springs all the time)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I have extended bump stops. I have 3" of upward travel. Guess I could limit it more. Changing springs annually is no fun and getting expensive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If your limiting the stuff to three inches it's probably not the problem. They should handle that fine. I really think its probably just the quality of springs. When mine warped out I went to a local spring shop and had them custom make mine. They mentioned that Rancho and many of the affordable springs were affordable for a reason. I don't know what Alcan's cost but I have heard nothing but good about them and I think you can get a cool swivel in the front eye that helps keep 'em staight when flexing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts