Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...Looking for input here...I am running a set of RE 3.5" front springs but they are to damn stiff...

So I was wondering what springs in the 3"to 4.5" range in your experience seem to be the softest..?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
HeavyMetal said:
OK...Looking for input here...I am running a set of RE 3.5" front springs but they are to damn stiff...

So I was wondering what springs in the 3"to 4.5" range in your experience seem to be the softest..?

Thanks...
rusty's springs are known to be soft - but then again so are the RE springs...

the cream of the crop is the Old Man Emu springs, but i think they only make a 2" lift spring

what shocks are you running - that will have a huge effect on how the ride feels...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I'm running a set of 4.5" ZJ springs from Rubicon Express in the rear of my CJ and they ride well. The Rusty's might be too soft but if you currently are running 3.5" spring the Rusty's springs may settle more than the R.E. ones.

But I'm running 42's with custom buckets and mounting setup so I don't know if my rig will help judge or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
superlift 3" springs are quite soft but after a year of hard use and a winch and bumper i'm only netting 1.5" from them

·
Registered
318 Posts
get the Currie 4" tj springs for the front to get a soft ride, You will most likely have to run a spacer on the front because the lift will be around 3" on the XJ. I ran a set of those for 4 years and the ride is good. The rear is ARB used to make a 3" full spring pack that was super soft for street driving, don't know if they offer it anymore...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Rusty's 3" are softer than RE's.
I had Rusty 3's a few years ago on my DD XJ, and they were too soft for me.
Too much body roll, and I bent them after only a couple months (4, or 5 trail runs).
They initally gave me 2.5", I pulled them out when they sagged to less than 2".

Maybe I got bad batch, but I wouldn't buy another set.

I'd stick with the high quality RE's, and try softer shocks.

Most people consider the RE coils soft, what shocks are you running?

BTW, Rockrawler's taller coils are really soft, but I don't know if they make 3's, or how they ride.

Most TJ coils are softer than XJ's, if you wanted, you could try something like RE, or Rusty's TJ 3's, with a small spacer, but I think they're gonna be too soft for the application.
You want some stiffness, to balance out with the XJ's stiffer leaf spring rear.

Either way, I'd try softer shocks first.

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
RE coils are very soft. Softer than Rusty's actually, although the published spring rates would disagree...

I submit as evidence a side-by-side comparison of the RE 5.5" spring and the Rusty's 6.5" spring.

Note that the RE spring is longer, but gives less lift. Only possible reason being it's softer.

If you compare the compressed vs. uncompressed length of both brands under the same amount of load (i.e., in the same place on your jeep) using a simple spring rate equation (f=kx) you'll see the same thing.

You can also use the spring rate equation given for coil springs, based on number of wraps, spring wire diameter, outside coil diameter, etc, and come to the same conclusion. Such being...

k = (1406250*d^4)/(n*(p-d)^3)

where k is spring rate, d is wire diameter, n is number of coils, and p is spring OD.

But I digress.

I really like the Rusty's 3" springs, MUCH MUCH better than the RE ones. Much more stable and balanced between the front/rear flex. I still have them after almost two years of solid abuse, the last year of which has been with a 1.5" spacer on top. No extended bumpstops and compressed beyond belief many times, and still at the same exact ride height.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I need a good set of rear xj springs in that lift range...

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Rockcrawler(sp?) front and Tompkin rear springs are the softest my buddy has found!

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with RE springs. It must be that your shocks are not matched for your springs. What shocks are you running??

Rockcrawler springs are soft. I think they are 160's like the stock springs on a XJ. I also hear they settle allot.

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
mongrel said:
I need a good set of rear xj springs in that lift range...
The Rusty's 3" pack has been great so far. It gave me nearly 5" when I first put it in, and it's since settled to about 4.5" or so...taken some pretty good hits too. It doesn't wrap up too much at all and flexes decently as well, even with a stock shackle:

That's pretty much the basic Rusty's 3" kit with 33's and stock rear shackle.

The pack's got a nice ride on the road as well, and even with all my tools and junk in the back I've got no complaints.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
vetteboy79 said:
RE coils are very soft. Softer than Rusty's actually, although the published spring rates would disagree...

I submit as evidence a side-by-side comparison of the RE 5.5" spring and the Rusty's 6.5" spring.
He's asking about 3-4.5" coils.
If Rusty's 6.5's are stiffer than RE's 5.5's, that doesn't mean Rusty's 3's are stiffer than RE's 3's.

I am surprised to hear even the 6.5's are stiffer, based on how soft his shorter offerings are,
but I do remember somone commenting on the 6.5's being stiff were a few years ago.
They're definately the exception to the Rusty's coil lineup.

My Rusty's 3's are just slightly thicker than stock UC's, and way softer than any other aftermarket coil I've ever run, including the thicker RE's I replaced them with.

With the soft Doetsch shocks, the Rusty's coils were barely usable for me on the street, way too much body roll.
I ran them for 2 months, bent the crap out of them, sagged them down to less than 2" lift, and pulled them out for a set of RE's.

RE's gave me back the control I wanted, without being too stiff (with the soft shocks I was running).

Later I switched again to RE ZJ 3.5" coils, to get just about 5" of lift in my XJ, and a slightly stiffer, more controled ride.

The slightly stiffer coils work well with the stiff rear leafs, giving me more balance off road.

With those soft Rusty's 3's, the rear wouldn't start to flex till the ft was maxed out, or on the bumpstops.
Probably helped kill them in just a couple months.

I went back to RE's because the 5.5" (4.5" ZJ) RE coils I put in my MJ back in 1999 were still lifting it 5.5-5.75".

I 'thought' I wanted the softer ride of Rusty's coils when I bought them, but I much prefer control, over a floppy street ride/floppy articulation.

I still have those warped/bent/sagged Rusty's 3" coils, not sure what I'll ever do with them.
It may have been part of a bad batch, but RE's coil quality has been proven to me enough to stick with them from now on.

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
Yeah, his older springs did have some quality control issues. I know the set I have was from his new supplier, but the old supplier had a bunch of problems.

It's funny cuz my experience has been the exact opposite...had RE springs, hated the on-road ride (way too floppy), and the rear didn't do anything...put the Rusty's 3" in there and liked it much better. I haven't had the swaybars connected in months and I don't even miss it, with the RE springs it was all over the place.

Six one way, half dozen the other...

The only reason I brought up the 5.5 vs 6.5 springs, was because if you look at the published spring rates for both (going by what Rusty says if you call him, and RE if you email them), the RE ones are stiffer - on paper. But it doesn't work out that way. Same thing applies to the 4.5" springs, but I don't have a pic of that. Leads me to believe that someone isn't measuring spring rate in the usual fashion...I dunno. I love the Rusty's springs but for whatever reason I don't think his numbers are accurate.

Alls I know is that with the factory bumpstop in place up front, with a 1.5" spacer on top of the 3" coil, I can almost hit that bumpstop with no extensions (and have many times) and the springs haven't worn out at all.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
XJMJ said:
I really liked my RE 4.5 pack I had in the rear of mine.
anybody got a cheap used set? These blocks gotta go!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts