Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am looking into doing a solid axel swap on my dakota. 1997 4x4, was a 3.9 but now is a 5.9.

I am looking at putting in some sort of solid axel what would be the best setup? Also it will be going up of course hopefully some 10 inches or so.

Chris

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
lol im sure theres info on "axels" in the dodge forum. you could start there. also making such a widely talked about thread with no posts, not even one is not a good start to the forums.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
intended purpose of truck would be nice to know. commonly people gut the axles from broncos or ford trucks atleast from what ive seen and had planned to do. there is a guy in the dodge forum with rockwells underneath his dakota so it depends what you want.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want a nice lift, something solid and stable, be able to drive on the road still and go 4x4ing without tearing my dakota apart...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I want a nice lift, something solid and stable, be able to drive on the road still and go 4x4ing without tearing my dakota apart...
I recommend these people http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm for the lift

Depending on what you want, they can make it as stiff of a ride as you want, or as soft as you want. Also if you wanna have some flex, and wanna keep leaf springs, get the Orbit eyes they sell. They provide just as much articulation as 4 linking your rig.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recommend these people http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm for the lift

Depending on what you want, they can make it as stiff of a ride as you want, or as soft as you want. Also if you wanna have some flex, and wanna keep leaf springs, get the Orbit eyes they sell. They provide just as much articulation as 4 linking your rig.
Well, I don't need leafs, I will probably buy those orbit eyes for the rear atleast, since that is already set up. What will be easier to do on your own? Also how strong do the welds need to be should I get a professional welder to do them? Or would it be okay to do it myself. The 4 link looks pretty awesome. Im not sure on what would be maybe cheaper or easier to fabricate. There is some pretty good stuff around here and I don't want anything breaking on me. Just want some info for now, more in the learning stages of suspensions.

Here is a Leaf:
http://www.4x4wire.com/feature/99dakota/solidaxleswap/

4/5 link:
http://thurenfabrication.com/arthursrig.html

Those orbit eyes look awesome, something I will do to the rear for sure, the front will depend on what setup I do. What is overall stronger, less likely to break?
Here is what my truck looks like now:

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol im sure theres info on "axels" in the dodge forum. you could start there. also making such a widely talked about thread with no posts, not even one is not a good start to the forums.
You know, just because it's someone's first post doesn't mean that they are an idiot. I don't know about you, but I've wheeled for 17 years, and I just started looking at forums around 6 months ago. Some of us have wheeled in the "real" world for a long time, not just sitting around on a f'n computer screwing with people that ask questions.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You know, just because it's someone's first post doesn't mean that they are an idiot. I don't know about you, but I've wheeled for 17 years, and I just started looking at forums around 6 months ago. Some of us have wheeled in the "real" world for a long time, not just sitting around on a f'n computer screwing with people that ask questions.
haha x2 on that. I haven't had access to a computer in forever. People are just full of themselves here. Don't listen to it. If I were you, just go to the Dodge forum. We don't talk shit there like all the Cheby and Ford people do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts