Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just got the front leaf hanger made, I'll have to put this on and install the leafs to mock up where the shackles are gonna end up

·
Vendor
993 Posts
You need to get the top of the knuckle machined flat where the arm bolts to it. If you just bolt to the as-cast surface it'll never clamp right and you'll likely break studs or at best never be able to keep it tight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the info, idk if I can afford to get it machined flat but I'm not planning on using the dana 44 for long it's more of a mock up for a 4 link d60 later, but what if I weld it on to the knuckle, will it hold long enough?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got this thing welded on the front, my welder was acting up and the back side was hard to get to but its strong and that's all that matter, pretty ugly tho but that's just cause the wind was blowing in my face and also the sun was in my eyes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is going to keep those plates from folding like swiss cheese when the axle gets side loaded? This is kind of sketchy looking right now. Are you planning to add more bracing?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Support in between the plates will jeep that from happe
What is going to keep those plates from folding like swiss cheese when the axle gets side loaded? This is kind of sketchy looking right now. Are you planning to add more bracing?
Support between the plates as well as behind them will keep them from swaying but I can do that wet because I need to get the axle in its place to mock up the rear shackle locations

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You need to get the top of the knuckle machined flat where the arm bolts to it. If you just bolt to the as-cast surface it'll never clamp right and you'll likely break studs or at best never be able to keep it tight.
I'll get it surfaced once everything else is done because I have to take it off again to replace the brakes anyways

·
Registered
517 Posts
Man, that shit does not look safe. Maybe try reducing those plow blades/spring hangers by several inches and gusset them.

15” lift? How do you plan on getting into the vehicle? Via escalator?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Man, that shit does not look safe. Maybe try reducing those plow blades/spring hangers by several inches and gusset them.

15” lift? How do you plan on getting into the vehicle? Via escalator?
The fucking elevator
Escalators are for the weak

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would get the gusseting and supports in place now so you can attach the leafs in the front and get some of the vehicle weight on them so you have a better idea of where the shackles need to be. Speaking of vehicle weight you need to get the rear at it's new ride height sooner than later because it's going to transfer some weight forward and might change your shackle angle.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I would get the gusseting and supports in place now so you can attach the leafs in the front and get some of the vehicle weight on them so you have a better idea of where the shackles need to be. Speaking of vehicle weight you need to get the rear at it's new ride height sooner than later because it's going to transfer some weight forward and might change your shackle angle.
38 inch shackles can fix anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm not gonna drive it that that, I'll do the read too as soon as possible and I haven't attacked the supports yet cause I need to center the axle and make the the distance between the leafs are exact or close enough whil there still a little wiggle room on the hangers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I need a way to set the thrust angle on the leafs springs somehow, I dont want to get thrust plates on here

21 - 40 of 79 Posts