Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of brake parts (mostly rotor hubs and rotors) from an IFS truck and looking to try swap it into a solid axle truck. I believe the rotor hub is interchangable, but wondering if anyone had experience swapping these parts, am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
275 Posts
molsenmuscle said:
It has been done fror even makes a kit for it.
Not too bright in terms of noticing sarcasm eh? Anyways, just run FJ-60 rotors. Be looking to spend in the area of $100 for the rotors and use your V6 (IFS) calipers. End of story

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Do a search for IFS rotors & Wilson as the username.
It's been done before and it's how I plan on setting up mine.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
molsenmuscle said:
He wants to run the bearing hub too, smart guy in which case he needs a spacer between the hub & rotor.

I guess it's true, newbies ARE allergic to the the
button.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
BTW if anyone has access to a machine shop here's a IFS hub spacer I drew up in CAD.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
kbud said:
Forestcam, is your spacer for the ifs rotors, or fj60's? Thanks for the pic, btw.
For IFS rotors. Got the measurements from a post by BrianR in this thread

And yes FJ rotors may bolt right up to the hub but your caliper won't bolt on anymore. FJ rotors require a thicker spacer then the IFS rotors do.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmmm...seems like I just posted this the other day...

FJ Rotors
V6 Calipers
Torch away at the backing plates and clearance 'em a bit for the big ole calipers
Bolt it right up.
No spacers needed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tuckn18s said:
:beer: to the newbie for trying something that has never been done before
Newbie ya! Glad I found this site, what an awesome source of info, been scanning previous threads.... I've heard about this site before but decided to try it after reading this mo's 4x rag with the brown Toyota with pirate4x4.com on its hood...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
firbolg said:

FJ Rotors
V6 Calipers
Torch away at the backing plates and clearance 'em a bit for the big ole calipers
Bolt it right up.
No spacers needed.
Mind fielding a couple of q's, I'm mixed up re what kind of FJ rotors, FJ60 or 40? Exactly what is the diff between the FJ40 and FJ60 rotors, and would I use the IFS rotor hub? Last, does your mod severely increase track of the front axle?? thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
firbolg said:

FJ Rotors
V6 Calipers
Bolt it right up.
No spacers needed.

And that's and IFS hub in the pic? If so, why does the FROR kit use a spacer?

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
The picture looks like what I did. Just buy two 1982 fj40 rotors. Remove the non-vented solid axle rotors from the solid axle hubs and replace with vented ones. Replace the smaller solid axle calipers with the IFScalipers and bleed the system. I had to grind a little off of the caliper to clear my type of rim. It is all very bolt on. I didnt have to do anything to my backing plates.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The question was about using the ifs hubs on a straight axle. You need spacers to make the caliper line up correctly whether you use ifs rotors or fj's. Forestcam was nice enough to provide info and pics on the ifs rotor spacer. I was looking to get the thickness of the fj rotor spacer. The vented rotor swap has been done for years. Anyone wanting info on that needs to do a SEARCH.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts