Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A guy locally is selling his Chrome CJ Grill (or he had it on a CJ5). I asked him if it was an overlay and he said no that it was solid. Has anyone heard of a solid Stainless or Chrome grill for a CJ?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
492 Posts
DaJeeper said:
Hi all,

A guy locally is selling his Chrome CJ Grill (or he had it on a CJ5). I asked him if it was an overlay and he said no that it was solid. Has anyone heard of a solid Stainless or Chrome grill for a CJ?

Thanks,
Bill
could be a whole chrome dipped part.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I don't think he means solid but maybe it has been dipped so the whole think is chromed.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have seen 1 or 2 that were chrome but they were from "back-in-the-day" and were probably the oners had them dipped.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quality of Chroming

If the whole thing is Chromed, what kind of quality would it have? Would it be better to buy an overlay to get the chromed grill look or something like this?

How does something get chromed? Are there various qualities of Chroming that can be done?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Quality has allot to do with the amount of times they put it in the dip tank to give it some thickness. If you look at it you will know if it is good or not unless it has just been done then it will look pretty no matter what. If you want the chrome look then the overlay is simple you just put it over your grill but if it is a chrome grill then you have a little work to do like installing the lights, mounting the radiator ans such.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this guy will let the grill go for 50.00 and I haven't seen it yet but he said it's not new. I have another guy selling the chrome overlay for 80.00. Both of these prices are better than what I've seen on the web for 230.00 or something close.

Bill

·
Registered
109 Posts
Chrome on a jeep?:rainbow: Are you going to get wire wheels with knock off spinners to match?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I never understood that. What the 7ell is wrong with chrome especially if it's a good buy? Will the Jeep God strike me down or will I have a trail of dancing rainbows following after me? Maybe it will become a stronger babe magnet or increase it's value in case I ever need to sell it? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

·
Registered
670 Posts
DaJeeper said:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Bill
IF A MAGNET STICKS TO THE GRILL IT IS CHROME IF A MAGNET DOES NOT STICK TO THE GRILL IT IS 300 SERIES STAINLESS STEEL-303 OR 304. CHROME IS A PLATING PROCESS BUT STAINLESS STEEL BODY PARTS WERE OFFERED FOR JEEP CJ'S INCLUDING ENTIRE TUB ASSEMBLIES I PREFER STAINLESS TO CHROME:D ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SS Dave,

Was this a certian time period when stainless parts was offered? Were these stainless parts aftermarket or "off the floor" option?

Thanks,

·
Registered
670 Posts
the s.s. cj7 is nice - i also own a s.s jeep. s.s body, s.s frame, s.s. axles, s.s steering colum, s.s gas tanks etc. took a lot of time to build- i don't think i'd build another - expen$$$ive and time consuming. the body is a flat fender version that was made in phillipines- they use them for taxi's over there. i purchased the body brand new and they shipped it to u.s. in a wooden crate.i have been rock crawling with it since i finished building it 2 years ago but it takes a lot of effort to take it thru rubicon or fordice or barret- i don't want to damage the body on it so far i've been lucky and nothing has happened to it i'll keep my fingers crossed..............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts