Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently completely rebuilt the 22re in my 1990 pickup. it runs great, takes the gas like a champ. after a few little adjustments i seem to have it in a pretty good place, but it wants to overheat (temp goes up to about 3/4 before i shut it off) when sitting still or driving at slow speeds. does anyone have any advice? thanks...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did you flow test the radiator while the engine was out? I just completely rebuilt my 22R and had the radiator flow tested. It was fairly new before the rebuild, and it was a little under spec, but I chose to use it anyway. The temp gauge sits a LITTLE past halfway when sitting in hot weather (stop and go traffic), but nothing huge. I would guess that maybe an older or original radiator wouldnt be flowing to well at all.

~T.J.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Check your themostat. They are designed to fail in the opened position, but I've seen a couple of 'em fail shut. Just pull it out and see if it over heats without a 'stat in there at all, and if it doesnt, you know youve found the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill try running it w/o the thermostat...the 'stat and radiator are both new. anything else i could be missing?

·
Registered
645 Posts
mechanical fan clutch
E-fan not pulling enough air

Say those because you mentioned the low speed issue

temp gauge sender bad

you didn't re install the fan shroud
i know you said there were new, but i have purchased 2 stats in a row that were bad :barf: that is a PITA

air pockets in the engine that haven't been worked out

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Fan clutch, fan clutch, fan clutch!! Had the same problem with my 84..... get off the interstate and stop at the bottom of an exit and the temp climbs like a tach needle..... replace the fan clutch or put an electric fan on it....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll chime in on a few bandwagons here:
1)The fan clutch. Easy to check, you just need to listen to it. Happened on my 4Runner just recently.
2) The radiator. If it's factory, and you've just done a rebuild, you may have some crud that got into it. Just go ahead and get a new, 3 core. They work much better anyway. Look here for a good deal on a 3 core.
3) Air pockets in teh engine. They can be a royal PITA to fix, but if you put some water wetter in, and then get the front end as high as possible, whether jacking it or parking on a steep hill, or both. Take the rad cap off, and start her up. Hopefully, and usually, all the air in the system will eventually make it's way to teh high point of the system, in this case the rad cap because of the angle of hte truck. Just make sure the recovery tank is good and FULL before, so that when it cools, it can suck all the water it needs in but no new air. After it looks like all the air has worked it's way out, put the rad cap back on, and shut it off. After it's cooled off, really cooled, start it up again, this time with a known good radiator cap on, and let it run until it gets as warm as it's going to, then shut it off and let it cool again. Keep the recovery tank full. The water wetter helps the air move around the system by lowering the surface tension of the water, making it more difficult for the air to get trapped against the metal surfaces in the engine and head.

Hope something in there helps a little...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts