Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some Early Amigo Q's
Can you flat tow one?
What is the rear axle? 10 bolt, 12 bolt, 44?
Is there a big performance difference between the two early 4cyl.?

·
* The Printer *
18,158 Posts
Can you flat tow one?
Yes but with no neutral position in the t-case you need to drop the rear drive shaft to tow.

What is the rear axle? 10 bolt, 12 bolt, 44?
If it has disk brakes it is an Isuzu 12-bolt. If it has drum brakes it is an Isuzu 10-bolt. There was no D44 in the 89-94 Amigos.

Is there a big performance difference between the two early 4cyl.?
The 2.3 is a carburated motor, the 2.6 is an injected motor. I have not driven the 2.3 but feel that the 2.6 will be the stronger motor.

Steve G

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does a Isuzu 10 bolt or 12 bolt have any relation to GM 10's and 12's, or is it just bolt count?

How strong are these axles?

Do I understand a 44 from a Rodeo will bolt in?

Have a good friend who is considering an early Amigo as a DD/wheeler, and I'm trying to get the skinny.

·
* The Printer *
18,158 Posts
Does a Isuzu 10 bolt or 12 bolt have any relation to GM 10's and 12's, or is it just bolt count?
No relationship at all. Both Isuzu rear end are third member style. I believe that the GM rear end have inspection plates.

How strong are these axles?
The Isuzu 12 bolt is comparable to a Ford 9-inch rear end and is very strong. The 12-bolt ring gear is about 8.7 inches. The 10-bolt is not so strong.

Do I understand a 44 from a Rodeo will bolt in?
I don't know if any of the 44s are a bolt in but I can say that some Rodeos are coil sprung and ALL of the early Amigos are leaf sprung.

Have a good friend who is considering an early Amigo as a DD/wheeler, and I'm trying to get the skinny.
I like the 2.6 with fuel injection and manual tranny. Do the valve adjustments on schedule otherwise this motor has a tendancy to burn exhaust vavles, Make sure you use MOTOR oil for the tranny and t-case (on manuals), gear oil will kill an Isuzu tranny QUICKLY.

Steve G

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are any of the Isuzu axles full floaters? He would really like to be able to flat tow it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or maybe a rodeo 44 with a floater kit? I've got a floater with hubs in my 4R and it's so simple to turn those dials. Tows like a dream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts