Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i needed to add some gauges and figured id try this and im pleased with the way it looks, so heres a pic. it was some work and im hesitant to try the other side, but that depends on if i can use my fuel gauge with an aftermarket fuelcell? i havent got to that point yet and dont know how that whole fuelcell sending unit thing works yet. anybody know if i should keep the stock gauge to use?

and has anyone had luck polishing the cover for the gauge cluster. mines not too clear anymore. i was just going to leave it off, but the dust factor will suck. thanks

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
You might try 5000 to 10,000 grit sandpaper wet. I have not looked for it yet, just 2,500. saw this on a TV show on early corvette restro, & the rear window was some type of plastic
You can always try toothpaste for a quick polish.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I got some plexi-glass (or lexan or something) from Home Depot and made a new clear front on mine. I destroyed mine when trying to remove it from the cluster, like toyota magically fused the front to back. Anyway, it looks awesome like a brand new cover (which it is).

For me the hardest part was drilling the hole for the trip meter, because the material kept wanting to crack. You can cut it fine, but drilling... nevermind I see in your pic you don't have a trip meter.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
bkubisht said:
I got some plexi-glass (or lexan or something) from Home Depot and made a new clear front on mine. I destroyed mine when trying to remove it from the cluster, like toyota magically fused the front to back. Anyway, it looks awesome like a brand new cover (which it is).

For me the hardest part was drilling the hole for the trip meter, because the material kept wanting to crack. You can cut it fine, but drilling... nevermind I see in your pic you don't have a trip meter.
Must have been Plexiglas
lexan can be drilled & even bent like sheet metal
they use lexan in food processing plants to guide fruit on conniver belts

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
bkubisht said:

You were not using the right drill bit. Bits for plastic stuff have a different degree on the cutting !! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
OOP'S said:
You were not using the right drill bit. Bits for plastic stuff have a different degree on the cutting !! :grinpimp:
ok, what degree is used for plastic?
how can you know what he used?
35*
45*
split point
bit with starter point
step bit
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I just used plain old wood/metal bits. I had no idea there were other configurations besides masonry.

Home Cheapo had two types of material, I got the one with blue film. It certainly didn't feel bendable. It was a little flexible, but not "formable". It would break before a controlled crease could form. Maybe with a heated process, dunno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts