Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have front hp dana non disco 30 in my 89 xj right now, im almost done with my rear 9in and i was just given another hp dana 30 , it looks like it doesnt have hardly any miles on it and it has 4.10's already, it is like 5inches wider than mine , so i think it came out of a tj , and it also has the 5 on 5 pattern, so my question is, can i swap the hubs from my xj and make it 5x4.5 pattern, if this isnt doable is the gears and carrier on all the hp 30's the same.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That axle is from a JK, not a TJ. Nothing is interchangable and the mounts have to modified as well. Keep what you have and sell the JK D30

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn so i cant use the carrier and gears in mine? how can i tell the year it came from, there is a tag with pn: 2007652-2714639ad2nht, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found out the hard way that a HP D30 and a LP D30 have different ring and pinions. The only noticeable difference was the outer pinion bearing on the LP which was the same as the outer on a D35. So, JK's have a 5x5 lug pattern?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this axel is a high pinion i beleive, looks the same as my xj's just longer and with different bolt pattern

·
Registered
135 Posts
that is most definatly a jk d30........probably the strongest d30 ever made

the driveshaft mounting flange gives it away along with the esp wiring dangling from the unit bearings

it wont exactly bolt up but could be made to work...........with alloys and a locker it holds up pretty well to 35in tires.........anybigger and it will grenade in short order

and fwiw the gears will not work in a older d30....the pinion is the size of a d44 pinion.........the only part in that axle that will interchange is the carrier.....and even with 4.10's it is still a low gear carrier......all jk's use thick gears, with no case breaks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
, so your saying i could use the carrier, as i would need a new one cause im running 3.55's right now and the break is 3.73. yeah i know i could make it work, and would like to as this axel along with my 9 would give me a nice trak width, the upper control arms are like a half inch different then the xjs, so i think with building som custom uca's i could use it, would just need to move the coil buckets, shock and lca mounts, anone make an adaptor to go from 5 x5 to 5 x4.5 bolt pattern, i could only find the opposite,

·
Registered
135 Posts
, so your saying i could use the carrier, as i would need a new one cause im running 3.55's right now and the break is 3.73. yeah i know i could make it work, and would like to as this axel along with my 9 would give me a nice trak width, the upper control arms are like a half inch different then the xjs, so i think with building som custom uca's i could use it, would just need to move the coil buckets, shock and lca mounts, anone make an adaptor to go from 5 x5 to 5 x4.5 bolt pattern, i could only find the opposite,
no, the carrier in that jk axle is the same as what you have now, for 3.73 and lower gears

it shouldent be that big of a deal to move the brackets, dana dident weld them on worth a s**t............ive broken all of mine at one time or another

and the spacer/adapter you need is here http://www.spidertrax.com/2007-Up-JK-to-Wrangler

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the carrier i have in my xj 30 now is for 3.55 and numericaly lower 3.07 ect, the carrier for 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 ect is the one i need, so if i dont run this axel i will use the carrier, i found the adaptors on ebay for 70 bucks, with 1 inch adaptors the front will measure 67 1/2 inches from wms to wms , and my 9 with out spacers will be 63 1/2 so if i go that road im going to need 2 inch spacers for the back also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
the carrier i have in my xj 30 now is for 3.55 and numericaly lower 3.07 ect, the carrier for 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 ect is the one i need, so if i dont run this axel i will use the carrier,.

THATS WHAT I WAS TRING TO TELL YA....... the jk carrier is the same one you have now......all jk's use thick gears....no carrier breaks.......jk's use the same carrier as a 3.07 xj d30 , no matter what the gear ratio

its like this
in my yj, going from 3.07 to 4.88's i had to get a new carrier

in (one of ) my jk's i went from 3.21 to 5.13 with the same carrier

as far as width goes , jk's are almost full width, im running a 14 bolt ff rear in my 08 unlimited and its only about an inch wider than my front d 30

1 - 12 of 12 Posts