Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In researching and reading this and other sites I have learned lots in the past few weeks. I have also realized that the more I laarn, the more questions I have. Here are a few. thanks in advance.

Regarding the ford 9" axle

1) What is a "shaved 9" .

2) Does the "high 9" offer any advantages if you only have 1-3 inches of lift?

3) Is it common to "tilt" the rear differential upwards to get a more friendly angle between the transmission and third member yoke? Is there a problem with proper lubrication when this is done? Is movement of the spring perches all that is involved?

4)Why are leaf springs so much more popular with jeeps than coilovers? Im mostly referring to buildups, not stock setups.

more to come later. thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
1) it's a 9" housing thats been modified for better ground clearance

2) yes, the pinion is raised...so you will get better driveline angles and more clearance from rocks and other trail obstacles

3) yes, very common. no lubrication problems. no, sometimes you will have to move the shock mounts too! Sometimes all you need are alxe shims to move the pinion up or down.

4) leaf springs are cheaper and there is less thinking/planning/designing involved

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
On #3 your OK as long as you don't tilt it too much. Some people will also re-drill the fill plug hole to actually overfill it so there are no oiling issues.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
3) Only if you use a CV type shaft. Otherwise you are likely to get vibration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts