Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We left Florida and headed out and ended up in Birmingham at about 7:00 a.m. We had time to kill as we could not get the keys to Grey Rock till 9:00, so we went by to see the guys at BTF and pick up some limiting straps for my buggy.
Jason shows up at the shop and gives us the grand tour of the shop (beautiful place and f'in HUGE), and we are on our way out with some parts and Jason gives us cards with his cell # and tells us to call if we need anything, really nice guy, I see why they get so much praise on here from people they deal with.

Well I did not get to take a lot of pics mostly due to forgetting the camera at camp and some do to the fact that we kept having to fix shit!
The worst thing about living in Florida is there no place to really test stuff out till you travel 10 hours and hit the trails. Flexing on trees can only tell you so much about your rig.
2 of us had failed driveshafts due to the driveshafts shop inability to weld. They were both fixed fairly quikly thanks to the portable welder at Grey rock. Those guys are great! They gave us keys to the shop and gave us free reign over everything!
I also landed the entire weight of my buggy on a front heim and popped it, subsequintly (sp?) bending the one on the opposite side of the link. This was at about 8:00 pm on Bump and Grind.
After scouring through all of our trails bags I cannot find any heims! I swear that I had 2 but they were not there, typical.
My last resort was Jason at BFT. I was assuming there is no way he would answer his phone at 8 at night but he did! I explained my situation and he said he had some and would be at the shop so I could grab some. I sent the girls up there and he GAVE them to them! He siad he was glad to help!
Thanks Jason, you really saved my weekend! I really appreciate it!
I would not have any idea where else to look for heims on a Friday night or even a Saturday in Alabama. Thus 10 hours of driving and $400 in diesel fuel would have been for nothing.

On to the few pics that I did take.

I think that Grey Rock is twice as hard as it was just 7-8 months ago when we were there. Buzzards Roost has much larger holes than before, along with a few other trails. My new favorite is Pitch Fork I or II (I forget which one) and Horsepower hill. Both made me work to get through them. Cable hill was pretty wet so we were going to save it for Sunday morning but we ended up running behind and never made it over there. We all made it up last time but it was much drier then.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
looks like a good place to wheel..

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I love Grayrock. I'm a little biased, since it's 15 minutes from my house and I'm there for every open ride. I can't wait til I get my junk built a little bigger/beefier so I can hit some of the harder trails there.

Good pics too, man. Looks like ya'll had fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice rigs and pictures, I think I will have to organise a trip over there for my mates bucks weekend to go wheeling with you guys at Grayrock. This time Sean from POS can chauffer me around this time in return for when he came here for the Australian Tuff Truck in 2005.

I like the rigs are there anymore close ups of the zuks or build up threads?

How are you finding the 54s and rockwelll as we are about to do the same for a customer here in Oz:smokin:
Cheers Sean

·
Registered
422 Posts
I guess if there aren't a lot of vehicles there, you can run all of the trails forwards and backwards. (I see you going down Buzzard's Roost) Haven't thought of doing it that way. The rigs look good. Been a year since I was up there.

Stephen

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Thanks for the props guys. Yeah we were at the shop when you called the other night. Glad we could help. Jason said thanks for the props also. Be sure to let us know if you need anything.

BTW... I was on my way back to Bham from ATL Sunday and saw you all on the side of 20. Hope all was well. Looked like you guys were loading up to get back on the road.

Just a reminder to those who have not heard. Blue Torch FabWorks, Inc (BTF) is now located in the downtown Birmingham, AL area. If you are visiting any of the area offroad parks and trails be sure to drop by for a visit. Our new address is located on our website at www.bluetorchfab.com

-Dan

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
thats the first time Ive ever seen anyone go down Buzzards Roost... never even crossed my mind to try it LOL

Cool pics regardless , thanks for sharing !

( going up it at June Jam... )

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the props gents!

Nice rigs and pictures, I think I will have to organise a trip over there for my mates bucks weekend to go wheeling with you guys at Grayrock. This time Sean from POS can chauffer me around this time in return for when he came here for the Australian Tuff Truck in 2005.

I like the rigs are there anymore close ups of the zuks or build up threads?

How are you finding the 54s and rockwelll as we are about to do the same for a customer here in Oz:smokin:
Cheers Sean
No build ups on the Zuks, the long white one belongs to Antioch Offroad that just posted above me.
The 54s and rocks work VERY well. 21"s of dif clearence and 36"s of belly clearence is insane! Here is the build on it http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575279

Thanks for the props guys. Yeah we were at the shop when you called the other night. Glad we could help. Jason said thanks for the props also. Be sure to let us know if you need anything.

BTW... I was on my way back to Bham from ATL Sunday and saw you all on the side of 20. Hope all was well. Looked like you guys were loading up to get back on the road.

Just a reminder to those who have not heard. Blue Torch FabWorks, Inc (BTF) is now located in the downtown Birmingham, AL area. If you are visiting any of the area offroad parks and trails be sure to drop by for a visit. Our new address is located on our website at www.bluetorchfab.com

-Dan

I wish we could have waited for you to get there Dan but we were ready to wheel! Thanks again, sincerly!

thats the first time Ive ever seen anyone go down Buzzards Roost... never even crossed my mind to try it LOL

Cool pics regardless , thanks for sharing !

( going up it at June Jam... )

We have all been up it plenty of times, we were just dropping it in those pics to go up the "big egg"

Hey, BUMP for me being there with ya'. HAd a great time. Robbie
Yeah Boy! I really liked the one of you going up lunch box.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the props gents!

No build ups on the Zuks, the long white one belongs to Antioch Offroad that just posted above me.
The 54s and rocks work VERY well. 21"s of dif clearence and 36"s of belly clearence is insane! Here is the build on it http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575279

They are insane stats I cant imagine how big it is in real life!!! Out of interest why did you go bruiser chassis over fusion? How did you find the rockwell steering as it doesnt appear to be the best?! I imagine thats why you went 4 wheel steer

If Antioch can post some other pics of his zook that would be appreciated!

I am madly jealous as the access to wheeling trails and aftermarket components at reasonable prices is something we dont get here in Oz. What is the best time of year to wheel around that part of the US as the weather and conditions look awesome in the photos?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are there many new trails at Gray Rock? I've been on a few o them, been there twice, but I hear there are sick new trails.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts