Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
That makes sense, I guess it would be easier/better to just get a 2wd 5spd.

What broke? Grinding noise? Front or rear output? Input?

Side thought. Will a ringr adapter work on the 2nd Gen bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch? I've toyed with the idea of putting my 60s under this thing with 40s. I think if I do that, I'd just go to 7.17s and use a ringR with a Toyota trans and my tcases.

For now, I'm trying to just stay on track, need to get the longer struts in and then once I get the driveline adapters in, the sami case.
Something in the front output broke, locking it into 4 low, the front output will not release even with the case removed from the vehicle. Rear will go into neutral but the interlock pin is still in there so it will only move between low and N

I just took mine over two mountain passes on Sunday, a couple 11,500 footers. High range on the highway portion between trails in the mountains was a drag. Some times 2nd gear and 30 mph was all I could do, I don't think gearing is going to help all that much. I'm wondering if a cheap turbo would fix my high range more than gears would.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Something in the front output broke, locking it into 4 low, the front output will not release even with the case removed from the vehicle. Rear will go into neutral but the interlock pin is still in there so it will only move between low and N

I just took mine over two mountain passes on Sunday, a couple 11,500 footers. High range on the highway portion between trails in the mountains was a drag. Some times 2nd gear and 30 mph was all I could do, I don't think gearing is going to help all that much. I'm wondering if a cheap turbo would fix my high range more than gears would.
Lower r&p would just put you in a higher gear. I can't imagine it would increase the speed much.

Turbo would solve all problems :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
Keep your eye out for a 529 ifs front for me, preferably locked already. I heard rumor you may not be moving in the immediate future so you will have plenty of time to convert my front also :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #227

Got one of the gm or whatever struts in. Looks like almost 3" more down travel at the wheel. Probably a little more once the strap stretches a bit. Also fixed the camber a little.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
7.17s with 1.7 high? :lmao:
.... w/ 40" tires :rolleyes:

i had the 2.3L aerio motor and i felt like it still needed more power w/ 5.13 gears, 1.7:1 high range and 37" tires. 6.5:1 low range was great but topped out pretty fast in the snow. it was awesome in the rocks

ideally, 2.0L, 5 speed, trackick to toyota 4.7 geared doubler w/ 7.17s

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
.... w/ 40" tires :rolleyes:

i had the 2.3L aerio motor and i felt like it still needed more power w/ 5.13 gears, 1.7:1 high range and 37" tires. 6.5:1 low range was great but topped out pretty fast in the snow. it was awesome in the rocks

ideally, 2.0L, 5 speed, trackick to toyota 4.7 geared doubler w/ 7.17s
I never liked having just the 6.4 low in my 5 spd sami. However, with 7.17s and the 1.7 high, high range would probably be pretty usable for between obstacles.

And reverse always sucked in the snow.

I think I'd rather do the ringr to w56 than the welded coupler, can't get ahold of, have to send a money order, maybe it takes a few weeks to build track kick to toyota adapter. Plus the 5 spd is blown up anyway.

Anyway, trying to stay focused on what it is now. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
:smokin: on those stuts. Do the CV's have enough misalignment for that much droop? Pretty sweet if they do. My 1st gen doesn't have that much droop and the CV is maxed out where it is.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
:smokin: on those stuts. Do the CV's have enough misalignment for that much droop? Pretty sweet if they do. My 1st gen doesn't have that much droop and the CV is maxed out where it is.
Yes, I had to limit the struts a little because of the cv. I'm hoping that will help them live. I remember you saying that you couldn't keep struts alive and after feeling mine constantly topping out, I can see how they would give up quickly. I realize that they are still not the greatest, but these do seem beefier as well, not to mention they were dirt cheap, so why not.

I just got the other one in and went for a test drive. Rides even better when the front has down travel, imagine that :laughing:

Another stupid/crazy idea that keeps popping into my head is boat sides :laughing: I've alway liked the idea but never had anything with them, I figure with how little this thing is, it would make a huge difference. With out completely tearing the doors apart it looks like I could take 4-5" out of the doors themselves plus the rocker. What's sweet is that the body mounts look like they were almost meant for it.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Yeah I pulled a few struts apart. The final straw was out hunting a secret spot in the high country. The ONLY person on the planet that would have been able to come save me, was in the tracker with me. That was when I switched to the upper A-arms. But mine still doesn't have any down travel, and is the worst part of the ride.

Low range has some struts I probably should have tried and might be getting tried out on the green one for the kids.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Yeah I pulled a few struts apart. The final straw was out hunting a secret spot in the high country. The ONLY person on the planet that would have been able to come save me, was in the tracker with me. That was when I switched to the upper A-arms. But mine still doesn't have any down travel, and is the worst part of the ride.

Low range has some struts I probably should have tried and might be getting tried out on the green one for the kids.
I believe the only company making bolt on longer struts is old man emu. I could be wrong, but I know I read that somewhere. The gm struts I got are dirt cheap and just require a little time with a die grinder to bolt in. You might be able to avoid the limit straps (although the were like $25 pr on Amazon and I just drilled on hole in the strut tower) by using strut spacers on top of the strut tower.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #235

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Did another day trip, lots of rough roads, trails, some decent crawling.

Struts are awesome, for how little I have into the suspension, it rides amazing and soaks up a lot. The rear could definitely use better shock, but I think I paid like $20 bor both shocks :laughing:

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
The 3spd dont like shifting with no vacume

But I'm all for you doing it so I can learn at your expense

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
As lame as it sounds, I would probably buy a kit if someone made one. I just don't know anything about tuning engines, especially one that wasn't designed for boost stock.

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
How similar Is the 2.0 in the early 2000's suzuki aero?

I know it is popular with the "tuner" crowd and id guess turno kits exist

221 - 240 of 322 Posts