Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think it's very similar, I know the 2.3 aero swap is the top dog zuk 4 cyl. Something like 160 hp?
2.3 (J23) motor is externally similar to 2.0 (j20) but uses crank sensor same as 1.8 (j18) motor, 2.0 intake,exhaust, motor mounts the same.

I have a J23 in my 98 Sidekick Sport and went from a J18 to a J23 by just swapping the long block and injector rail. I kept the J18 intake and all sensors
and the power difference, even when using all the J18 fuel delivery is very good. It would be better if I used the 2.3 intake and computer but that required a complete rewire. J23 motors were only made for a few years so they may be harder to come by.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Well I had some time off and decided to try and smog this turd. Went something like this:

Tow down the hill to the closest place that will do walk ins (45 mins)

They say it passed the sniffer but the downstream o2 monitor isnt ready (wtf, I've put over 100 miles on it since the battery was last unhooked) he says "might need to do 60 mph for a few minutes"

Drive home, unload, swap to stock tires and drive this pos back down :laughing:

Still not ready "some times they want to see 55 then 30 then back to 55" try googling it.

https://m.smogtips.com/OnlineForumQuestionDetails.cfm?Question_ID=3019&Question=Chevrolet-Tracker-Emission-Monitors-Not-Ready end up driving around the farm roads for like 90 mins.

Get back and it's ready! :D aaaaaaaaaand thier smog machine is down :mad3:

On a completely different note, I was looking at bumpers for our 3rd gen 4runner and with even the kits being $5-600 for just a front I said fuck it and ordered a bunch of tools to make my own, even better bumpers and sliders, plus whatever else I want. Model 32 bender with 1 3/4, 1 1/2 and 1" dies. Versanotcher and drill press speed reduction from Rouge fab. Press brake kit, air over hydro kit for bender and dimple die kit for knockout punch set sizes from swag 4x4. Then went to good old harbor freight and got the ram for the bender, the knock out set and the press for the brake. Thinking about ordering a cheapo plas/tig/stick machine on Amazon also.

So hopefully I can make some baller stuff for this and the 4runner. I have a feeling I might be looking for semi flat body panels on the tracker to dimple die :laughing:

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
Well by God, if you know the battery was disconnected or dead anywhere in the last year, make sure you go through all the drive cycles :flipoff2:

Same old batterey that's always been in it. I've driven the turd 13000 miles in the last year and a half so hopefully it has all the drive cycles plus some. I really hope they just to the plug in smog thing and dont use a sniffer because it definitely puts out some blue smoke when you rev it.

Btw a new timing chain gave mine quite a bit of power.

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure you jinxed me. My catalytic converter monitor is not set... or running, and I probably need to drive it more

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
What year is yours? Apparently 2000+ is just plug in, mine is a 99 so it gets both.

The cat monitor was my problem also. Follow the link for the procedure it wants to see. Which probably never happens in normal driving?

You really put 13k miles on yours? Or was that an accidental extra zero?

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
What year is yours? Apparently 2000+ is just plug in, mine is a 99 so it gets both.

The cat monitor was my problem also. Follow the link for the procedure it wants to see. Which probably never happens in normal driving?

You really put 13k miles on yours? Or was that an accidental extra zero?

Mine is a 2000.

What link?

And yes, I drive the shit out of it. It's pretty much my dd other then my truck I have to drive to work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
I found this one at pick n pull yesterday. Probably the cleanest one I've seen. Complete with fake leather door pannels and power windows. I kept looking at it but couldnt come up with anything I actually needed

Attachments

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
Just go down to the one for the cat and do that, it's almost impossible, unless you want to get ran off the freeway. But I managed it on some farm roads :laughing:

Well I ran into a buddy of mine who I haven't seen in a long time. He was into these stupid track kicks before anyone I know. Had one on 1 tons and 47s at one point :laughing: I asked him if he still was into suzuki stuff and if he was interested in a decent shape 2 door. He said he has been looking for a good deal forever and has a 2000 4 door with no motor/trans/tcase that he would trade..

Extra body parts and rear axle shafts, plus whatever else I can think of, then when I'm done, the scrap yard should take it since it has no engine.

·
Premium Member
14,081 Posts
Good thing you switched doors, looks so much nicer now :flipoff2:
They arnt all rusted out, smashed on the bottom, the drivers window rolls up easily, and they have door handles. So I got that going for me

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #260 (Edited)
Started on the sami case swap. First thing was to get the transmission supported. I was able to use the stock mount from the 1st Gen tcase with a little modification. Slotted one hole and sanded some ridges off. Didn't get a great pic, but it almost bolted up to my modified stock crossmember, I just cut the flat bar off and moved a little forward and to the passenger side. I plan on replacing this with something a little beefier when I build the full belly pan skid.

At first I was going to try to use the stock style mounts on the mighty Kong, but the driver side mount would have been inside the cab :homer: I decided to just build a full width crossmember off the bottom of the MK and brace it up and out to the wings.

This is the start of the passenger side, had to test out the dimple dies :laughing:

241 - 260 of 322 Posts