Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I had another thought about this stupid diff..... :homer:

Remember when everyone was breaking Sami tcases? Then someone realized that you just needed to brace the case. I'm thinking about hard mounting the diff and adding as much bracing as I can. Now obviously the difference is that there are steel diffs available, which is just a better option, but I'm just curious as to how much the aluminum diff will take with some bracing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
So since you guys got my head all spinning on building a steel front diff, or at a minimum basically completely remounting what I have. I've thought about using the 2 door rear axle to build a front center, which would be cool.

But why not just use a Toyota ifs center?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/318480-toyota-front-differential-vitara-56k-say-what.html?amp=1

They are everywhere, cheap and 4.56s weren't too un common in the 2nd Gen 4runner. The cv's would obviously bolt up, spartan lockers are available and cheap.
i would have gone toy if they made 5.13 gears but 5.29 are too far apart to run high speed in 4wd and not break shit. i also didnt like the fact id spend all that time putting a new diff in only to gain .5 larger ring gear.

I had another thought about this stupid diff..... :homer:

Remember when everyone was breaking Sami tcases? Then someone realized that you just needed to brace the case. I'm thinking about hard mounting the diff and adding as much bracing as I can. Now obviously the difference is that there are steel diffs available, which is just a better option, but I'm just curious as to how much the aluminum diff will take with some bracing.
all you gotta do is brace the pinion. its strong till you have to back up and front end is in a bind, thats when the pinion mount breaks and shit gets floppy. ive seen guys strap the top of the pinion down to the other side of the frame and have no issues.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
i would have gone toy if they made 5.13 gears but 5.29 are too far apart to run high speed in 4wd and not break shit. i also didnt like the fact id spend all that time putting a new diff in only to gain .5 larger ring gear.

I realize it's not s huge increase in strength. I have 4.62s in both rigs so a factory toy 4.56 diff would be perfect.

My thought was that if I have to redo all the mounts to move zuk diff and clear the Toyota cv's, just mounting up a different diff wouldn't be that big of a deal. Plus it already has the right cv flanges, so I could probably sell my adapters. The spartan is ~$250 instead of $550.

I already found a 4.10 diff for free that I could use for mock up. When you start thinking about trying to track down a steel vitara diff and 3rd then still be limited to the one $$$ locker, the Toyota diff makes more and more sense.

all you gotta do is brace the pinion. its strong till you have to back up and front end is in a bind, thats when the pinion mount breaks and shit gets floppy. ive seen guys strap the top of the pinion down to the other side of the frame and have no issues.
But...... This it what I'm thinking. Honestly, as it is, it will do 75% of what I want. I really just don't want to shred these tires on the firewall. So I may as well rework the front end and add a the locker I already have.

·
Registered
377 Posts
But...... This it what I'm thinking. Honestly, as it is, it will do 75% of what I want. I really just don't want to shred these tires on the firewall. So I may as well rework the front end and add a the locker I already have.
i have a very bad case of "if im in there, lets over build". I did that with my samurai, worked well. i tried to do just enough on the tracker and its biting me in the ass so im back to the over building again. So it just comes down to what you feel is enough for ya. obviously guys can go well above what i did and put a damn currie 9" ifs diff in front with 934 cv and so on.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
i have a very bad case of "if im in there, lets over build". I did that with my samurai, worked well. i tried to do just enough on the tracker and its biting me in the ass so im back to the over building again. So it just comes down to what you feel is enough for ya. obviously guys can go well above what i did and put a damn currie 9" ifs diff in front with 934 cv and so on.
I'm the same way. It served me well with my 4runner as I never had to get drug out of the woods or leave it over night or anything. Obviously stuff still breaks, but I think it was pretty reliable.

This rig just has a different goal. I don't plan to load up my whole family in it (I couldn't even if I wanted too :laughing: ) and take off to the middle of no where like I did in the 4runner. It's supposed just be a fun little rig to thrash around with and not care about. We have a 99 4runner on 33s with an elocker that will take us almost as many places as this rig, but all the trail around the property are over grown and the 4runner is too nice to drag through the brush.

For now I'm just going to screw with it as it is. I'm working on getting the Sami tcase and associated parts. I'm going to keep an eye out for a 4.56 diff. Once I get all the stuff for the Sami case together, I'll do the yota cv's and either modify the stock diff mounts or try to mount up a Toyota diff.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Well I think I figured out the trans surging issue........

Turns out they work better when they aren't low on trans fluid :homer: I filled it after I installed it and forgot to check it after I ran it and got all the air out. It actually puts down a noticeable difference in power, it will spin the tires in 2 high now.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Clearances the fenders a little more. The front barely rubs the firewall at full stuff and it's actually a smooth area, so not too bad.

The rear was still rubbing pretty bad on the fender lip, I pulled the tire on the passenger side and hammered the lip over. For some reason, I didn't do the driver side and this time out I ended up chunking the outter lugs pretty bad :homer:

We went out for a few hours in the pouring rain today. Climbed some really steep muddy hills will out spinning a tire. The thing is actually pretty plush, the only thing that sucks is that you can feel and hear the shocks topping out over bumps. I'm going to grab some longer ones for the rear using this graph, and I'll worry about the struts after I redo the front end.

Suzuki Sidekick – Geo Tracker Shock Options : Zuki Offroad

Had the 18 month old, 3 month old and the wife (6 yr old is at school) What's funny is that in certain ways there is more room in this little thing than the 90 and 96 4runners we have/had. The seating position and leg room is way better, there is a ton of head room and it really doesn't feel much narrower, if at all. All 3 have the same width factory axles, so maybe they aren't that far off. The zuk is definitely shorter, less room between the front and rear seats and about half the room behind the rear seats.

Anyways, the reason I posted an update, we broke it! :laughing:

Got stuck in this nasty clay hole. As I was on the come a long, the wife was giving it steady throttle and sawing the wheel a little. Right when the front was starting to grab harder ground, it stopped spinning. I'm guessing passenger side cv since it was making noise right before that, both had torn boots.

So I guess I'll be working on the front end sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Fyi Jordan usually has between 2 and 20 its toyotas in various stages of being parted out and built. He probably has any random parts you need

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Fyi Jordan usually has between 2 and 20 its toyotas in various stages of being parted out and built. He probably has any random parts you need
Of course he has the stuff I need, too bad you guys are too far away, and paying $100 to ship a $25 diff is hard to justify.

There are a million 2nd Gen 4runners being parted out and 4.56 was somewhat common, so I should be able to come across one. Plus it's one of the few parts no one wants off of them.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
That thing is awesome! I'm super interested to see how the toy IFS diff fits and installs. I have that IFS stuff available to me but I'm out of samurai t-cases.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
So I spent the day pulling my dual case and 60s out of my burnt 4runner. I'm pretty optimistic that the tcases are good (twin sticks, marlin 23 spline adapter and 4.7 rear, longfield chromo rear output and marlin 30 spline front output) they still have oil in them, shift fine and spin like normal.

If someone made an adapter to go straight from the 3spd to toyota cases, I would have ordered it already. From what I found, low range made one for a while but it looks like it's discontinued?

I guess I should just stick with the Sami case for now, but having those cases available makes it tempting.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
The last 5 or so posts here might help out a little or at least give you ideas

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/2169770-lr-game-changer-kit.html
Thanks

I came across those pics searching as well. Og kicker 4. My old samurai had the ott divorced adapter to dual Toyota cases.

It's too bad ott isn't still around they made neat odd ball stuff.

I remember seeing a 22re to sm420 adapter kit on their site :laughing:

Like I was saying over text, I like the idea of trying to broach the zuk splines into the tcase input. The problem I would imagine is that you can't broach a blind hole.

The other idea would be to steal the female input out of the tracker tcase, then bore a hole into the Toyota tcase with a tight press fit, then tig them together.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have calmini strut spacers at the house if you want them. I definitely had them, they were installed on the Green 2wd and the new struts broke right away. I pulled the spacers when I did the A-arm conversion. I'll put them in the mail when I get home if you can use them.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I'm pretty sure I have calmini strut spacers at the house if you want them. I definitely had them, they were installed on the Green 2wd and the new struts broke right away. I pulled the spacers when I did the A-arm conversion. I'll put them in the mail when I get home if you can use them.
I appreciate that, I'm wondering if adding more down travel would be bad for the cv's and steering?

I guess I'll take them, let me know what you want for them.

530 592 6033
Jeff

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I appreciate that, I'm wondering if adding more down travel would be bad for the cv's and steering?

I guess I'll take them, let me know what you want for them.

530 592 6033
Jeff
I'm days from the house but I'll look for them as soon as I get home. Even the spacer lifts use strut spacers to get the shock to not over extend, you'll want them. I just gotta make sure I can find them both, I threw them in my scrap pile still bolted to two broken struts so I'll let you know if I have them.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I'm days from the house but I'll look for them as soon as I get home. Even the spacer lifts use strut spacers to get the shock to not over extend, you'll want them. I just gotta make sure I can find them both, I threw them in my scrap pile still bolted to two broken struts so I'll let you know if I have them.
Sounds good, thank you.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
So a buddy sent me a link to a way to good of a deal on a 4.56 diff with an arb......... Unfortunately it's a Tacoma diff so it's driver drop and high pinion, it's cheap enough I may grab it just for the arb. It would drop into the 96 4runner I have also if it doesn't work out with the suzuki.

Snowballs are a bitch

121 - 140 of 322 Posts