Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 180 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts
You finished with this turdbucket yet? I'm living vicariously through your build since I dont have the time to keep working on mine.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
You finished with this turdbucket yet? I'm living vicariously through your build since I dont have the time to keep working on mine.
No, we're in tri cities Washington right now, on our way to ID for the week.

I just got called back to work, so we'll see how much I'll get done.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
Haven't touched it since we got home from Idaho. Started back to work 6 days a week the next day.

I honestly thought about selling it, but I can't imagine it's worth anything with no front diff, especially since stupid suzuki used slip yokes front and rear, so I can't even limp around in 2wd.

I was actually thinking about trying to get something done today and/or tomorrow on it.

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts
How much do you want to put the motor/tranny Into my little samurai? I already have the 2wd transmision conversion kit to work with the samurai tcase

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Nice, good to know it fits a 2nd Gen.

Did you move the engine at all?

Were the spacers necessary for factory arms? Or did you do a hegan mod of some kind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the chopped frame mod same as in this thread

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/2047250-grand-crawler-cruiser-build.html

So I've got more room under the engine. Like you see in the pic I've got tubular a arms that move the spindle front and outward to gain room. I´m also running toyota landcruiser 90/prado axleshafts in the front with toyota pickup cv's. landcruiser shafts are 15mm or 5/8 Inch longer than stock pickup axles, and the spacers. I do this to allow from more downtravel in the front.
So total length of front axles with spacers is 45 mm longer than stock, I plan on replacing them with T100 shafts and cv's when I brake something.

could share pics/ info of spindle machine work if your interested.

I run 38x14.50R15 during winter 37x12.50R15 turing summer.

more pics

suspension with stock zuk axle, Ran it for about a year with stock suzuki front and rear never broke a thing with 37 inch tyers. now i have 4rrunner rear.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
Finally was able to get myself to touch this thing with some help from @904_runner

Like I mentioned before, my plan was to unbolt the motor mount bracket, lift the motor up to desired height, and then weld brackets to the frame. For know I pulled the mount out and flipped the bracket over for mock up.

Stock diff mount off the cover if definitely in the way, so I just unbolted the cover off the mockup diff. We were able to get the diff pretty damn close to where it's needs to be by lifting the motor up about an inch and shifting it to the drivers side about an inch or maybe a little more.

After staring at it for a bit, I think I'm going to have to notch the crossmember to get the diff to sit flat. I'm OK with it being a little lower since it will help cv angle anyway.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So are we going to spend all this time modifying it to accept the Toyota ifs diff and then a month later you’re going to decide to just put your Dana 60 in the front? Maybe we should just do that from the get go? Might as well just start ordering parts for that now. :flipoff2:

I’ll try to bring over some more beers and help you tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
So are we going to spend all this time modifying it to accept the Toyota ifs diff and then a month later you’re going to decide to just put your Dana 60 in the front? Maybe we should just do that from the get go? Might as well just start ordering parts for that now. :flipoff2:

I’ll try to bring over some more beers and help you tomorrow.
I feel like diff clearance might be a problem with 32s and a 60 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
So the current delema is that I didn't take any measurements before ripping the old diff out. :homer: so I'm not exactly sure how high it needs to sit. My plan is to drop it a bit in order to help the cv angle, but I don't want to go too crazy.

I guess I'll measure up the 1st Gen to at least get an idea.

161 - 180 of 322 Posts