·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I am thinking hard about a set of those. However, I just really like the super stiff ones for carrying da load.

Franken, that is one schweet looking rig.

j

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
the RTE springs are custom made by John for our application(110 perches are larger diameter). The spring rate and height I specified, is for bills setup in mind. They are not off the shelf RTE

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hey, whose the guy with the real looking camera???

Is that GHren?

I'm working on that winch for you and Douggie, but you guys have to come out to the Hammers to get photographed! :flipoff2:

Nice springs BTW. I'm wondering how KC's spring rate formula stacked up to what you got from John, and how, in your opinion, his equation worked into that 'seat of the pants' feel.

Let us know!

Looking good!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Serious One said:
I'm working on that winch for you and Douggie, but you guys have to come out to the Hammers to get photographed! :flipoff2:

Hammers when?????

I wanna play :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Thats Tyler somethingorather with the camera. i am not sure how to spell his last name, or maybe i really dont know his last name, i'll let you decide. Anyway, he is from LRM I think.

And from what i remember, RTE was shooting for higher spring rates, but i cant remember. Bill dealt with John directly, so Bill will know what John was aiming at. But yes, the spring rates for the rear were set with the same formulas in my program. Bill will fill you in on how he liked them, But they sure do flex, and if you look at two side by side photos of bills truck and the SG truck at the same point on that V notch, Bill has a tad less body roll, and equal travel, but I'm sure Greg had a little travel in reserve I hope. the bottom line is, I am happy with the results the formula yeilded, and by the way, i fixed one flaw in teh program since i talked to you, so I can give you exact free height and such for the spring. Give me your weights and such again, and I will refigure it for you Mike.

Anyway, I will stop stealing this thread and go back to my hole.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
This is my favorite Pic. right about here bill is cursing me in the back of his head saying, Damn he got me way to high on this rock.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Puffdragon said:
This is my favorite Pic. right about here bill is cursing me in the back of his head saying, Damn he got me way to high on this rock.

Thats kinda the look my baby has when she pee's her diaper....
I suspect thats what Bill is doing also :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The picture above is quite an awesome pic. What a great concept truck Bill has built, and the bed(built by K.C. I think?) is quite the touch. Spring rates at the beginning were tailored to fit a 110 but they did such a great job of creating a "spyder weight 110" that the springs by K.C.'s suggestions are quite undervalued for a 110 but seems to work great for Bill's suspension and weights. I am sure Bill will give us a shock and spring report when he has developed a "seat of the pants" feel for it overall.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Now if Bill had drilled out those front bushings *like he was SUPPOSED to*, that front tire would be at least 6 inches closer to the ground! :flipoff2:

Sweet pics, sweet work (KC!), and sweet concept (Bill!).

Can't wait to see it in action (Bill you owe me a ride!!).

Oh, I can't stop looking at that swanky winch hook you have, where'd you get it?

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I was looking at the SG buggy pics and noticed that he has the front edge of that bulkhead exposed where the bolts that hold the wing on go.

Does Greggo plan on running a set of 'street wings' on that thing? If so I think that is a pretty nice little detail. Easily removable for trail, but easily returned to a little more stock look.

If he doesn't already have that figured out (I'm sure he does), it would be super easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Bill,
Do you have the details on your springs from RTE? I'm curious to hear what they are and your impressions on how they ride/flex/etc.. especially when compared to the old 764s

Btw, damn nice set-up you got there!

-John

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I am suprised no-one has mentioned the nice "sidestep" the 110 made off that big rock (I hope someone got it on tape).

All right here is the scoop:

Front springs: RTE 5" lift (IIRC around 20" free length) with the 764 rate - 220 lbs/inch

Rear springs: RTE 5" lift (about 22" free length) with 200 lbs/inch rate (110 size springs)

From the CC experience, I can say that the truck is super stable at the extreme (although I did not do alot of off camber stuff). It does lean a bit depending on the angles but feels very safe at that attitude.

Articulation is fairly balanced with the nod going to the rear. The front springs were just a "tad" stiff for ultimate travel. Front stuff was limited by the 7100's hitting their bumpstops, but that also kept the 38" tires off of the fenders.

For the CC I was running Bilstein 7100 fronts (14" travel with 275/78 valving), and some shorter (can run much shorter travel shocks and get enormous articulation with KC's new rear shock mounts) Rancho 9000x's in the rear (could not get the right 7100 shocks in time).

With the rear shocks set to just about firmest, and running the usual load in the rear (tools, spares and one passenger), it was a very nice even ride on the street with alot of body roll in the tight corners. Offroad ride was pretty cozy and not too stiff.

I have since gotten the right length rear 7100's and will install those shortly and then play with the valving on the shocks (got the master rebuild kit with a pair of every shock valving). Also gonna play with the nitro charge on the shocks as well, just need a 250 psi regulator.

Anyway, for a completely new setup with new custom springs, rear shock mounts, rear trailing arms, and shocks not to mention and totally different rig, it worked AMAZINGLY well for the first outing. Which is a testament to the skill and expertise of a certain tall skinny guy who welds in shorts and sandals up in Dallas :)flipoff2: KC).

Billster

ps. I can tell you that on the 2nd day when we wheeled on Rocotillo and got held up near the end and scampered out way after dark in pouring rain on some pretty gnarly stuff, my son slept the whole way out, and Sandi and I were totally comfortable (except for no windshield wipers and defroster) and confident in the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, about Grego's bulkhead. I think he plans to clean up the current body panels (he fabbed those up right before the CC), and somehow integrate the sides of the bulkhead. I don't think he is looking at moving stuff "out" to meet the edge of the bulkhead.

Btw - his thrown together bodywork was frankly astonishing. All of the panels have rolled edges, and look super professional. The final front end is a good mix of D90 grill plus some series thrown in. Very nicely done. A well tooned SpiderMonkey!!!

Billster

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike,

There is no spoon! Opps, I mean there is no bushing to drill on the 3-link dude.

The winch hook came from this major goober dude who likes to overbuild stuff ala Alan Dobbs. Thanks Mike!!:flipoff2:

You can bash it around (like Rich did!) at EJS if you like.

Billster

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yea,

The photographer in the picts is Tyler Wirken. Very cool rover dude (with a nice D90 + bodgy clutch), and takes some nice picts as well.

Billster

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Greg-

You should see the video of you two going thru that "V", mad front flex!

Tis

1 - 20 of 32 Posts