Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever wonder exactly what it takes to make this fit that, but you dont have all the parts, nor know what those parts look like?

I figured i could start a thread that might help some of us define what we need. If you find that I have omitted something, AND I HAVE!, feel free to post, as long as it is accurate information. Lets make this as complete as we can to help those guys that dont have these answers yet.

I stole pictures from where I could, so give some credit to the people that posted these to begin with:

Offroad Design, off their Np205 page...
Autosource

----7" input------- 10" input------- 4spd input-----th350 input

those are input shafts for the 205

If you have the 10 inch np205 long input, it will stick out of the transfer case towards the transmission about 4 1/2 inches. there is an adapter that will allow the th400 to bolt directly to this using the np208 output shaft. this adapter is about 4 1/2 inches thick.

it is for use with the LONG input. *the adapter shown is for the np205, you can tell because the shifters on the passengers side, not the drivers side... but still can be used for the np208/np241 if it has a passengers side drop.

if you have the 7 inch input, it will stick out of the transfer case towards the transmission 1 1/2 inches.

ok, those are the transfer case parts, now for the th400 output shafts...

the short 1 1/4 inch stickout th400 output shaft is on the left. its for an NP203 to the right is an NP208 shaft for th400.

thats a photo of a standard th400 2wd output shaft, also the same shaft used for the racetrack style th400-np205 output shaft.

ok..

how does all this relate?

to make this work, you have to figure out which case youre using.

if you have a racetrack case, like the one pictured below.... you need a racetrack adapter, and a standard shaft...

you get the racetrack adapter, and youre there...

sounds easy as pie, eh?

If you have a round faced case, you can use the short adapter, the th400-np208 output shaft, and put it all together....

and, as you can see, it will even turn a ford NP205 into a usable unit behind a th400.

The NP205 can be had in many different forms. I hope this helps someone. Lets get to adding info to it.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I didn't see any mention of the using the factory TH400 to round pattern NP205 adapter for joining a long snout round pattern 205 to a TH400.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didn't see any mention of the using the factory TH400 to round pattern NP205 adapter for joining a long snout round pattern 205 to a TH400.

ahhh, the photos are there....

and you have to use the long input.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've got most of this down already but one thing I have never seen is a late round pattern 400/205 with a short shaft. Is there such a thing? I've heard there is but in the dozens of trucks I've parted I've never found one.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there isnt one.

but if you have the parts, like the th400 with the np208 adapter, a ford Np205.... and a hp 44 or hp60 front...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
If you have a round pattern 205 and want to put it behind a 32spline 465 this is the adapter you will need. They came factory but aren't always easy to find. I bielieve you can use a 32spline 465 from in front of a 208 too with this adapter.
If you want to make a doubler using this setup you will need a 32spline 203 from behind a th400,a 465/208 adapter,and will need to re-drill the face on the 203.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks. Speaking of Furd 205 29spline Dodge input in a Furd 205 and bolt it to a Dodge nv4500 to get a drivers drop 205??
i think it could be done, but you would need the dodge adapter... if it were a round adapter, you shouldnt have a lot of problems. if its a racetrack style, you may be in for some work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can certainly use the NV4500 GM 32 spline 4x4 output shaft in the Dodge transmission. This allows for GM or Dodge NV4500 direct coupling to driver drop NP205. I have that set up posted for sale in the t-case for sale section.
Pictures are available. (GM NV4500 / Dodge 6-5/16" housing / 32 spline shaft / 3/4 clocking ring / NP205 Ford T-case)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had a guy wanting to run a 205 in a 97 Cummins. I just ran Dodge input in GM nv4500 behind Cummins with GM 32spline 205 behind that in my Bro's Chevy pulling truck.

You can certainly use the NV4500 GM 32 spline 4x4 output shaft in the Dodge transmission. This allows for GM or Dodge NV4500 direct coupling to driver drop NP205. I have that set up posted for sale in the t-case for sale section.
Pictures are available. (GM NV4500 / Dodge 6-5/16" housing / 32 spline shaft / 3/4 clocking ring / NP205 Ford T-case)

·
Registered
232 Posts
OK thanks. Speaking of Furd 205 29spline Dodge input in a Furd 205 and bolt it to a Dodge nv4500 to get a drivers drop 205??
i see no reason why this will not work behind the duramax. the VSS rear output from GM will also be needed.

someone please post the VSS equipped 205 versions also. years used and vehicles they were used in.. thanks

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i see no reason why this will not work behind the duramax. the VSS rear output from GM will also be needed.

someone please post the VSS equipped 205 versions also. years used and vehicles they were used in.. thanks
if its a th400, you can install it on the output shaft after pressing the steel speedo gear off.

Edit!: I need to do some research on this, i think.

The Np205 might have been available in 91 with vss behind a th400.

not sure yet, though.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhh, Found some more photos!

Draggbody on here had an adapter made for use between an SM465 and an Np205, using the 32 spline long output shaft.

More info can be found on his thread Here

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
The issue is stupid output at least on the Ally's is bigger than the 205's input. Maybe the 6spd output like we have would work. If so I'm doing it too :D. My buddy has a 90 205 for sale. I believe it has VSS but not sure.

·
Newb
3,118 Posts
VSS equipped 205's were available in 90 & 91, as for applications I think they would only have been in crew cabs.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
That is correct and in 91 some had 4L80E's in front of them. Those are pretty rare.

Question: Do 10spline 205's require machining to install a 32spline input?

VSS equipped 205's were available in 90 & 91, as for applications I think they would only have been in crew cabs.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Question: Do 10spline 205's require machining to install a 32spline input?

Yes, they do. The input bearing is smaller on the 10spl, so you're going to have to have that hole reamed out to fit the 32spl input bearing. :D

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hey Grumpy
Great post up
And i dont have them handy but case input bore diameters would be a good add in
and yes the 10 spline 205 needs to be bored out so the 32 spline input will fit
Randy
Here's a good pic from ORD's web site showing the difference between the two bearings:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok, i have got a ford 205 that im wanting to put behind my th400. I have the "tall" adaptor NP208 to TH400 and it looks like the bolt pattern of the adaptor is too big. Not all of the holes could get tapped b/c they run off of the face of the 205? What do I need?? (besides the short 32 spline input)

This adaptor:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~ocauto/DCP15378.JPG

1 - 20 of 285 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.