Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again - did some snow trackin' the other day, took some video, digitized it, captured some frames - got some not so run-of-the-mill pics.

suspense........

suspense....... hehe

·
Registered
600 Posts
looks awesome... its about time you got snow.. :p

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'd say I want a set of those...

but it doesn't snow here (well, ok, once a year we get a dusting..)

Those are so cool, and I like the shot with the rooster tails!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
low snow year in Alaska

Thanks -

Unbelievable low snow year here -- I will be trailering to some real stuff soon. But I was expecting to have 2-3 feet out in the back yard by now.

I got up to about 35 mph - I need to GPS a few runs to get a good top speed. Lots of drag in those tracks, so even though the sprockets gear me way down, 5th is pretty hard to pull. And I have the VW turbo diesel:flipoff2:

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
:) that's really neat. don't be too stingy with pics from now on:D

how hideous is steering with those things? turning radius of what, 2 football fields? :D

I could've used tracks on my last outing, then my revs might have been kept below 5000 rpm heh heh. :D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
steering..not as bad as you might think

You and everybody else would be surprised - I am. Now, I am not able to move them at a stop, but as long as it rolls, it isn't so bad. It still a hand over hand style steering, but I can steer as quickly as I need to. Just kind deliberate. Luckily, they gear me WAY down, even with the rest of the gears still stock. This gives me time to make the turns, hehe. Figure the crawl speed of 15" tires ( the sprockets) and a diesel.
As for turning radius, not any worse than the not-so-great stock radius. I can get ful lock, anyway.
'Nother one.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
:cool: totally cool, dude

I am surprised the steering is not too bad! That's great!

No power steering yet?

pic courtesy of Shogunator, a couple of weekends ago:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
cool!

Heck, in that heavy looking snow, my Terras would be enough.

The tires are good to about 2 feet or so.
hehe
Actually, I looked through your thread before - you guys do some cool winter wheeling!

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
:D I would kill for a nice set of Terras, much too high rpm with my present little skinny MT's, it's like I'm impersonating a submarine commander or something. (y'know that sinking feeling...... :D )

cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to do pretty good on my 31x10.5 MTs - just had to run at about 4 psi. Sidehills were rough - sidewalls are slick!! My terras are screwed to the beads - I can take out the stems!

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
OK I confess.....I'm lazy in addition to all my other faults:D

only aired down to 8-ish psi, should've gone much lower. It was a fair distance back to civilization on a Highway to air up, and we had no (good) onboard air :emb4:

·
Registered
705 Posts
very nice!!:D

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
That does look pretty cool, did you custom make those yourself, or are they store bought? How much were they? I hear they work awesome in sand, saw a clip of a guy in a 3/4 ton Chevy with tracks going up "comp hill" in either Glamis or Pismo, cant remember which, and cruised up it like it was pavement. The ones he had were like $16,000 for a set

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 56 Posts