Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always run toyota axles but have gotten sick of breaking rear ring and pinions. I came acrossed an early Bronco Ford 9 inch. Not sure why more people have gone this route. After selling my used toyota rear axle parts I have $450 into this setup. I didn't find much info on 6 lug 9inch axles so I figured I would post up

Specs:
76 Ford Bronco rear 9inch axle
59" WMS (same as front trail gear housing)
6 lug 35 spline chromoly sierra axles
5.29's with Spool
9inch to toyota drive flange
modified ruffstuff back bone truss
rufstuff disc brake brackets

Another broken 5.29 gear set.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
It looks good. After I put the small block Chevy in I want to put in a 9" rear. How much ground clearance did you lose under the center section?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From a trail gear housing under the diff it lost 1 1/2" ground clearance.:shaking:
I probably could have shaved an 1" out of it but didn't want to have any leaks. I will take strength over ground clearance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
What about the extra weight of this, compared to the Toy axle?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truthfully it isn't that heavy. I lifted it out of my truck and carried it into my garage by myself with everything assembled except rotors and calipers.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I think the custom axles & 6 lug conversion held people back in the past... but a decent option these days with so much aftermarket support from pretty much anything you wanna run.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Shave 9" in the back of #89 my Formula Bronco

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like all your stuff, it looks good.

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Looks good buddy but my neck hurts now :flipoff2: hope I can see it feb for the snow trip if my rig is done, it's getting there.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was cruising down from watching LCQ and lost all power to the rear axle. Pulled it apart in the pits and found the adjuster nut and bearing race were loose in the third. All of the bearing caps were hand tight but nothing was broken just poor install. the pinion gear had minor scarring on it. i took it to Rough Stuff and Chris Helped set it back up as close as possible. Thank you to Rough Stuff for the help. This was a brand new third setup by a reputable shop here in Sacramento. I have spoken with them and they are going to take care of it. I was not a happy camper. A day later on sledge at the plaque my front seals on the front ARB blew out. Got it back to camp tore it apart and went to ARB and they came to our tent and were able to repair the blown seals. Thank you to ARB for there help. After all that we wheeled with minor issues. Good times as usual.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Way to adapt and overcome...and fix and keep wheelin'!

Just wondering, are wakeboard tower speakers a requirement for NorCal trail rigs? :laughing:
We were hanging out Tues night with the Savage Offroad guys, Keith and Todd, who were the last guys in on LCQ. Keith had a big bumpin' amp with tower speakers in the back seat of his TrentFab chassis. :smokin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts