Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of fabbin' up my hydraulic steering on the mog 404's and noticed that my tires are a bit \ / :mad3: I don't think that the housing is bent, its kind of burley but who knows what the axle went through before I got it??? The rim surface which spans 22" is out of plumb 1-1/16" What the hell is going on? I remembered seeing someone elses 404's looking like this but was unable to find the thread again. Is there a way I can adjust this or do I need to give Daniel @ Killeraxles a call? I will follow this post with some pics so you can see what Im talking about.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My front is the same, you can kinda see it in the pic. I never measured it to see exactly how much it is out. I can't see it causing a problem up front...it's not going hurt the CV's any, no different than turning side to side. If you have the diffs apart, why don't you put a straight edge on either side the steering knuckle (one on the portal mounting surface and one on the diff mounting surface) and compare. My guess is that the camber is built into the knuckles and isn't caused by a bent axle housing, other than having the truck fall on a rock on the center of the diff, I can't think of anything that would cause the housing to bend \ / , and if that is what happened there would be a huge dent in the bottom of the diff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Ummm I dont know much about mogs (ok nothing) but they look to be a bit small possibly for what you are running??? I dont know but it looks as though your caster angle ** \ / ** could be normal and is just multiplied greatly by the size of tire.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hotcowboy76 said:
Ummm I dont know much about mogs (ok nothing) but they look to be a bit small possibly for what you are running??? I dont know but it looks as though your caster angle ** \ / ** could be normal and is just multiplied greatly by the size of tire.
The mogs can handle the tires from what I hear; 46's. When I took the measurment from plumb is was the rim I was measuring from and it was out +1" in a 22" run. That cant be right.

I read the link hotcowboy posted not much for info on this subject :confused:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Sorry I thought it could have some decent info for you. I went back and read it and it obviously didnt! I will keep searching for stuff

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dude, it's called eh... wtf is it called? Positive camber or something like that. It was supposed to wear the front tires more evenly for some reason. It's supposed to be like that, and it's perfectly normal. I guess it's more used in older military trucks and heavy stuff though, most of the older military trucks I know of has this "feature". Don't worry :cool2:

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Cool optical illusion. Makes the tires look like 5 feet tall! I think the axle is not under the truck, but several feet out in front...

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Myanarchy said:
Totally off topic, but what in the hell died in front of your garage door?
That was a cow skeleton that we found in the eucalyptus forest on our farm. My brother and I decided to make a creature out of it and hang it up somewhere around the shop or up in the trees to mark the "Boneyard" obstacle.

Okay so the \ / is normal, just looks bad. Must be the same feature that the germans used on the VW bugs. :barf:

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
82FB said:
Cool optical illusion. Makes the tires look like 5 feet tall! I think the axle is not under the truck, but several feet out in front...
not totaly an illusion. The axle was in front of the truck a few feet. More room while I was working on the steering. And the jack stands are right were the axle needs to be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thought they were made like that. Since they're made to handle alot of weight, much like rockwells are. So when under heavy load they can settle some without bending negative./ \

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I agree. There IS something strange about the Mogs, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

http://madras-lair.armengar.org/images/mogswedding/mogfamily.jpg

Oh about the camber - yeah, mogs do that. Even though it's a totally different suspension style, Steyr Puch's (Pinz, Halflinger) do that like crazy, even when loaded a bit. It might be a mil thing. Thinking about it, there's also some complaint about this for M35 axles, but I've never noticed...

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
thats something like 2.5 degrees which seems like alot, but arent these meant to handle a lot of load? I bet if you loaded these things closer to there max weight capacity they would look a bit more normal.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NE-RokToy said:
thats something like 2.5 degrees which seems like alot, but arent these meant to handle a lot of load? I bet if you loaded these things closer to there max weight capacity they would look a bit more normal.
Probably right. The only problem with that is most of my weight is the axles and tires, nothing that sits on top of the axle. Oh well. It sounds like its typical for the 404's. Im not driving it on the street so Im just going to have to RUN IT!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just to fill in the thread. My u1300's are sitting on rims and they are definitely the same way. The rims are 8.25 wide and the inner side of the rims are off the ground about .150" for what its worth. I don't think its going to help tire wear. I remember reading about chuck's trucks cutting all but one degree of this out of the rockwells when they shorten the axles and it seems like they said factory was 12degrees but it may have been 6.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The housing has nothing to do with it it is built into the knuckles, and it is normal.

Don Henry

1 - 20 of 43 Posts